Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Not long to go now !

Out of interest, can any one tell me - will I receive any info. before the event or is it just a matter of turning up on the day ?

I've no idea what the procedures will be and I want to banish as many pre-event doubts/worries as possible.

Thanks for any advice !

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Joe said:
I'm doing it pubrunner. Not in any shape for it though! It's been months since I've ridden a 100, and I can't seem to get comfy on my bike at the moment. I'm probably gonna have to ride to the start and back too (from Crewe), so I'll probably be far out back!

If you were going from Wrexham, I'd be able to give you a lift there. I could also give you a lift back, but you'd probably have to wait hours for me.:smile:

OP
OP
R

Ravenz

pubrunner said:
Not long to go now !

Out of interest, can any one tell me - will I receive any info. before the event or is it just a matter of turning up on the day ?
You should receive email from Kilotogo a week beforehand giving details of registration etc... that's bound to be chaotic (almost) with 1600 to sign the sheet.. then I think it's off in groups of about 50.. though I stand to be corrected

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info, I think that I shall register the day before; I'd just get stressed out, standing in a huge queue.

Joe

Über Member
pubrunner said:
If you were going from Wrexham, I'd be able to give you a lift there. I could also give you a lift back, but you'd probably have to wait hours for me.xx(
Cheers for the offer! Can't take you up on it I'm afraid though.
Hows the training going?
I clocked 88 miles today, and whilst the legs weren't too bad my neck and shoulders were killing. Might flip my stem for the cat as I'm not sure I could handle it for another 50 miles:ohmy:
Not sure my 39-25 low end is ideal either:sad:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Joe said:
Cheers for the offer! Can't take you up on it I'm afraid though.
Hows the training going?
I clocked 88 miles today, and whilst the legs weren't too bad my neck and shoulders were killing. Might flip my stem for the cat as I'm not sure I could handle it for another 50 miles:ohmy:
Not sure my 39-25 low end is ideal either:sad:

My training has been very poor of late - merely once a week ! Having just about got used to my Brooks saddle, I seem to have 'done my back in'. In the last fortnight, I've spent £120 on physio treatment - seems to be working though ! It is nearly 'right', now.

Which stem are you flipping and why ? I think that I'm going to have to 'play around' with the saddle position and height and the handlebar height. My bad back started after I raised the height of the handlebars. I may also be reaching too far forward; I have the old type of quill stem, so I don't think I'll be able to to swop it until after the CC. It could well be that I need to move the saddle further forward on its rails. As you've probably guessed, I don't really know what I'm doing - just a matter of trying things out.:smile:

Problem is, what may seem to be comfortable for one hour, may not be comfortable for 9 hours.

You did 88 miles today !!! Well done !!! That's nearly twice as far as I've ever cycled !

To be honest pubrunner, you might struggle a bit on the CC if the longest ride you've done is under 50 miles. Try and get at least a 60 miler in this weekend (forecast looks dry) and tweak that bike position. Don't overdo it if your back isn't right though.

My training has been poor as I've had a cold for the last week and only just started upping the miles over the last 3 days. I've not been commuting by bike either.

sportbilly1976

well I'm not able to get there on the sat...so I will be one of the many on the morning of the event...
I'm also looking for a lift if possible to the start & back from south mcr...dont really fancy 30 miles beforehand to get there by 9..and then 30-odd on the way back :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just a heads up..... watch the descent off the Cat and Fiddle to Lamaload - a guy on BR really buggered himself up (double leg brake) coming down it...a week or two ago...

It is slippy in the wet, but it's also slippy in the dry - I climbed it last year on a warm day, dry, and my rear was slipping..... just take it easy as the sharp right-hander is where folk lose it....

Also get yourself a bit of space coming up to Swiss Hill - you'll need it as the bike just goes where it wants - not a hard climb, but blooming tricky if you've got too many riders on it...

I'd love to be riding... got the fitness, but my shoulder won't take the abuse....

Best of luck you lot - just a week to go !

fossyant said:
just take it easy as the sharp right-hander is where folk lose it....

well, the right-hander is fairly gentle, you lose it on the steep downhill after it or the blind sharp left-hander at the bottom !

After Macc Forest, you drop down, pass a pub the 'Stanley Arms' and then climb up again to cross the Cat&Fiddle road A537 (I hate that climb...)

After crossing the A537, you drop down fast past a farm (this is fine, I've had over 40 on this section, it has good surface, straight, fairly wide, open sightlines, no problem)
- but then it gets narrower and you turn a right-hander and it gets much steeper : there's a sign at the top that says something like 20% but I think it's steeper...

The road is pot-holey, has a stream running across it and loose gravel from that, goes down steeply to a blind left-hander at the bottom, which is under trees and has green, slimy tarmac even in Summer.

It's almost impossible to decellerate down this steeper bit, whatever speed you go round that first right-hander is the speed you'll do down that hill - brake hard and you'll just lock up.
You have to negotiate the potholes & gravel, then get round that blind-left-hander at the bottom, hoping there's not actually anything coming the other way...

Don't have sleepless nights worrying about it, the Polka Dot/Spud Murphy Riley runs past that every year and there's anot a pile of bodies at the bottom or anything, but it's worth a bit of caution, that's all.

After the blind left-hander is a dip and a climb back up, passing Lamaload reservoir half a mile or so further on, so if you get to that point you can relax
- and if you didn't even notice this steep-drop-and-blind-bend, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about ! ;)

I tried my new commute today Cheadle > Stoke and went via Mow Cop from the A34 and up the killer mile.
Its not that bad to be honest, take it easy on the gradual part and then out of the saddle and honk the last bit. Didn't even need my bottom (34/25) gear! Piece of pish!
61 miles in 3'35'' today so I'm getting fit just in time.

Top Bottom