Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I might consider doing the CC as my first sportive and see if it is something I could get into. I have never done any long distance riding before, longest I've gone in one leg is probably around 6 miles when went from Shrewsbury Station to Longden.

I suppose I could get myself fit enough in that time to do the 45 mile course. The start line is less than 2 miles away so easy to get to, what time does the thing start? I might have work on that date 6-12 so I'll probably have to set off late.

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
It's an early morning start. Think something like between 7.30 and 8.30 if I remember rightly

deggers

I'm also going to sign up once I've been paid. I've never done any sort of cycling event so am not sure what distance to do-I can comfortably do an up and down 40 miles but have yet to push myself further. Got a couple more months to get fitter tho. Lookin forward to it

Holdsworth

Über Member
Well due to a change in working patterns, assuming that they stay the same from now on, I should be free to join the ride as early as required
smile.gif

I guess a bit of training is in order between now and then.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know the registration is changing this year, but go and queue up at the start early. I got there early, very few cars at the stadium, registered, loo, pottered about... decided to go to start and the place was then crammed...took an hour before I passed the start gate (so riders an hour in front). Needed a pee by then.

Anyway, nice 16 miles to filter out riders a little before Mow cop. On the aproach you could see a multi coloured stream going up the hill.

Lots of riders waiting at the bottom, so passed these and carried on. More riders part way taking a breather. Kept it steady as the bottom part isn't that steep, then comes the ramp past the pub..... it looks impossible... bodies everywhere though......

At this stage you've really got to pick your line and find a gap - I only had 39 x 24 so had to drop back from some of the lads on compacts, and picked a gap so I could 'weave'. It's not too bad, you just have to give it some. It then eases off a little, more folk at the false top, but the road bears left then right for more climbing, not as steep but you'll be puffing. The other climbs are more good drags, with Wincle being the other steep one, but the lanes are now filtering out. Big climbs now over !

The hard bit last year was the very long 40 miles into stiff headwinds from Macclesfield into the Welsh Boarders.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Thanks for the booking advice.

I don't think I'll do the route with Mow Cop in it, I'll stick to the 45 miler because as I said it will be my first sportive and I want to ease myself gently into it. 100 and 67 miles sounds like a bit too much for me at this stage, 45 sounds only JUST doable tbh.

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
I know the registration is changing this year, but go and queue up at the start early. I got there early, very few cars at the stadium, registered, loo, pottered about... decided to go to start and the place was then crammed...took an hour before I passed the start gate (so riders an hour in front). Needed a pee by then.

Anyway, nice 16 miles to filter out riders a little before Mow cop. On the aproach you could see a multi coloured stream going up the hill.

Lots of riders waiting at the bottom, so passed these and carried on. More riders part way taking a breather. Kept it steady as the bottom part isn't that steep, then comes the ramp past the pub..... it looks impossible... bodies everywhere though......

At this stage you've really got to pick your line and find a gap - I only had 39 x 24 so had to drop back from some of the lads on compacts, and picked a gap so I could 'weave'. It's not too bad, you just have to give it some. It then eases off a little, more folk at the false top, but the road bears left then right for more climbing, not as steep but you'll be puffing. The other climbs are more good drags, with Wincle being the other steep one, but the lanes are now filtering out. Big climbs now over !

The hard bit last year was the very long 40 miles into stiff headwinds from Macclesfield into the Welsh Boarders.

Fossyant these comments just aren't welcome. Hard hills, stiff headwinds. Feels like this could be a lot of hard work. I was quite happy sitting in blissful ignorance thinking it would be nice to go for a pootle towards the end of March.

Joking aside - thanks for the reality check. Got to step up my training!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Dont let Fossy put you off Steve. The 60 mile version of the Cat is not too bad.

It starts off with a nice flat 15 miles or so, just to get your legs warmed up.... just try not to go chargeing off with a stupidly quick group at the beginning.

The next 15 are the hard miles. One or two of the hills are short and steep, but with the exception of the top part of Mow Cop nothing that should unduly worry anyone (but if you do have to get off and push for a while, I can guarantee you wont be the only one ).

After Wincle the last 30 miles home are nice and flat, you can either take it easy and spin home gently or push like mad for a decent time, depends on how much you have left in the tank.

The 100 miler just adds on a pretty pointless loop to make up the miles. Fairly flat but with a headwind all the way (or at least there was last year) just to make you work for the century :smile:

Last Year the cat was my first outing that year, after damaging my knee. I'd not done more than 10 miles on the bike in the 3 months before. It wasn't "easy" but not too bad.... hopefully this years preparation will be a little better :smile:

400bhp

Guru
I'll be doing this. :thumbsup:

mike1j

i did the cheshire cat last year great ride. mow cop is the only tough climb of the day. try not to get over excited at the start dont go of to quick. doing the 100 course again this year then wyrose or bust then the real tough sportive the fread whitten. good luck , youll be fine! just enjoy it.

Heathy_76

Hi All,

I've just signed up for the 45 miler, it's my first sportive too.
I'm really not sure what to expect but as I live in Crewe it'd be rude not to have a go!
Unfortunately I've only been out on my bike once this year so I'm trying to get some more miles in (inbetween working and the kids).

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have entered for the 45 miler
smile.gif

Now comes the long rides in the run up to the event to help in building up my mileage. Plus I must remember to take the day off work and give my employer plenty of notice.

Top Bottom