Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thelma

Is it always the last weekend in March? If so, I have a prior engagement... literally... it's the date we've planned for our wedding!

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
Is it always the last weekend in March? If so, I have a prior engagement... literally... it's the date we've planned for our wedding!

Hmm - cycling or wedding - tough choice. :tongue:

Plenty of others Thelma. Why don't you target one later on this year? You'll have the benefit of riding through the spring and summer to train, rather than over winter.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Any suggestions? It needs to be in the North West really, around Octoberish perhaps?
I've got one for you Thelma - the Season of Mists audax from Hebden Bridge (my 2009 ride). Very, very scenic; very, very challenging! Always, the first Sunday of October. This year's event. 100 km, 2,550 m of hills, some very steep.

If you want to go for it, there will be other CycleChatters (including me) doing it and you'd be welcome to come along. I've done it in about 6 hours when fit but I don't mind taking 7 - 8 hours. The time limit is 8 hours 20 minutes.

Thelma

I've got one for you Thelma - the Season of Mists audax from Hebden Bridge (my 2009 ride). Very, very scenic; very, very challenging! Always, the first Sunday of October. This year's event. 100 km, 2,550 m of hills, some very steep.

If you want to go for it, there will be other CycleChatters (including me) doing it and you'd be welcome to come along. I've done it in about 6 hours when fit but I don't mind taking 7 - 8 hours. The time limit is 8 hours 20 minutes.

Wow that's quite a challenge!! The greatest distance I've done so far is a measly 7 and a half miles! Is it a feasible challenge?

potsy

Rambler
Wow that's quite a challenge!! The greatest distance I've done so far is a measly 7 and a half miles! Is it a feasible challenge?

If Colin says it's 'challenging' and that some of the hills are 'steep' it must be bad!!
Some of the rides he describes as 'flat' are anything but, you soon realise how flat it is round here when you go riding around his kneck of the woods :biggrin:

Camgreen

Thelma you could always try this if you don't feel it's too soon, http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=286 100k or 100 mile version? Plenty who take part recycling their entry fee directly to Christie's and then just "go with the flow" of officially signed up riders on the course. I'm sure there are no shortage of alternative rides out there too.
thumbsup.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah ... er, in that case it would be a very serious challenge! ;)

The distance by itself would be a challenge for you, but the hills would probably finish you off. Here's the route profile ...

season_of_mists_profile.jpg

It's doable if you could put lots of cycling time in before then and make sure that you have some very low climbing gears but I think a more sensible challenge for this year would be the sister event on the same day - Mellow Fruitfulness. It's half the distance and half the climbing but would give you something to aim for. If you enjoyed that, then aim for Spring Into The Dales the following April, also from Hebden Bridge.

Thelma

Thelma you could always try this if you don't feel it's too soon, http://www.bike-even...ide.aspx?id=286 100k or 100 mile version? Plenty who take part recycling their entry fee directly to Christie's and then just "go with the flow" of officially signed up riders on the course. I'm sure there are no shortage of alternative rides out there too.
thumbsup.png

This starts very near home, so is pretty tempting actually. Theoretically I think 5 and a bit months should be enough time to prep? I'm a teacher so would hope to be able to put some serious effort in over the summer holidays. In fact I think the event is the day before the Autumn term starts.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Hmmm.... pictures are up but no sign of me on it yet, not even in the unidentified, number 3620, red speg jersey and a large Carradice saddlebag. I keep looking for it to pop up.

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
Got quite a few photos of me on there. Why were the photographers pitched at the top of every climb. I look thoroughly knackered in all the shots! There's even one of me walking (curses - thought no one had seen me!)

Prints are a bit expensive though!

OP
OP
Steve H

Steve H

Large Member
Any suggestions? It needs to be in the North West really, around Octoberish perhaps?

Thelma - try this site:

Cyclosport

It's got a pretty good listing of loads of sportives. Most of them have two or three distances involved so you can pitch yourself at a ride at your own level. Generally the easiest ones are relatively flat and they get more challenging levels of climbing in the medium and longer ones.

I found that signing up for a sportive gave me something to focus on. Knowing you are going to complete an event soon really helped me to get out the door regularly and do some training.

If you are doing about 7 miles a ride at the moment then build up the training steadily. It's not really about pushing yourself really hard all the time, just focus on trying to ride regularly. If you can get out 3 or 4 times a week with a rest day between days this will make a massive difference. I try to do a couple of shorter rides during the week and then build up a longer ride over the weekend.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hmmm.... pictures are up but no sign of me on it yet, not even in the unidentified, number 3620, red speg jersey and a large Carradice saddlebag. I keep looking for it to pop up.

You did a Sportive with your Carradice? Chapeau! I hope you had a thermos & some cheese & pickle sandwiches packed in it for authenticity :smile:

Top Bottom