Cheshire Cat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thelma

Well done folks!

What are the chances of a complete beginner (and an unfit one at that) being up to the short version next year? Unrealistic challenge? Doable?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The short version should be fine. Avoids the big hills. TBH the hills in the cat are in the first 30 miles of the medium and long routes.

JoshD94

ive been riding 3 weeks, however i did train hard, covering 300mile before the race in 8 rides. I was going for silver and missed by 4 minutes, but im sure you could do it very easily, just wouldnt be a good time compared to others thats all, but if your just doing it for the run, GO FOR IT!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Showered, fed and having a little lie down. My first Sportive is complete. I did the 67 mile route. Absolutely loved it. I found the hills really tough. Had to walk the steep bit of Mow Cop and a couple of other steep bits later on.
Well done Steve! I'm glad that you had a good time.

What are the chances of a complete beginner (and an unfit one at that) being up to the short version next year? Unrealistic challenge? Doable?
Do mean that you wouldn't do much riding between now and then, and would just turn up to ride the event? If so, you'd find it very hard and you'd have made it into an unrealistic challenge which might not be doable.

Or do you mean that you are currently an unfit beginner, but would be riding regularly for the next year and would like to make the event a target? If so, you should have no problems whatsoever. A year is plenty of time to get very fit if you work at it. Go for it! ;)

valetillidye

Does anyone do these types of rides using flat bars? I've been riding a hybrid with road tyres on for about 3 years and I'm undecided as to wether or not to buy a road bike with drops, put a set of drops on my hybrid or stay as I am

It seems to make sense to move to drops as I try to increase my distance however part of the appeal of cycling where I live is to soak up the scenery. I enjoy being upright as it gives me chance to have a good nose around!!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Do you have the link to the phots Fossy?

Nothing showing up for me in the usual place, and no links from Kilo to Go as of yet

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Does anyone do these types of rides using flat bars? I've been riding a hybrid with road tyres on for about 3 years and I'm undecided as to wether or not to buy a road bike with drops, put a set of drops on my hybrid or stay as I am

It seems to make sense to move to drops as I try to increase my distance however part of the appeal of cycling where I live is to soak up the scenery. I enjoy being upright as it gives me chance to have a good nose around!!

Drops can give you an upright position too - you just ride on the "hoods" (the top of the brake levers). What they offer more than anything else is variety - e.g. on the hoods, on the ramps (behind the hoods, ahead of the curve in the bar) on the tops, in the curve of the drops, or on the flat bit of the drop behind the hook.

If you're doing a 45/50 miles, don't worry about feeling out of place on a flat bar bike though, there were lots on the Stoke on Trent challege (80km) ride.

valetillidye

All sorts of bikes, although majority are road bikes for the 100 miles !

Drops can give you an upright position too - you just ride on the "hoods" (the top of the brake levers). What they offer more than anything else is variety - e.g. on the hoods, on the ramps (behind the hoods, ahead of the curve in the bar) on the tops, in the curve of the drops, or on the flat bit of the drop behind the hook.

If you're doing a 45/50 miles, don't worry about feeling out of place on a flat bar bike though, there were lots on the Stoke on Trent challege (80km) ride.

thanks people

Thelma

Well done Steve! I'm glad that you had a good time.

Do mean that you wouldn't do much riding between now and then, and would just turn up to ride the event? If so, you'd find it very hard and you'd have made it into an unrealistic challenge which might not be doable.

Or do you mean that you are currently an unfit beginner, but would be riding regularly for the next year and would like to make the event a target? If so, you should have no problems whatsoever. A year is plenty of time to get very fit if you work at it. Go for it! ;)

I mean I'm a wreck now, but intend to ride regularly between now and then. Cheers
biggrin.gif

perplexed

Guru
Well done folks!

As long as you do some steady riding between now and then, and chuck in the odd longer ride, you'd be fine I would say.

I'm in my 40's and this was my first sportive. My cycling is usually a short commute, with the odd trip to town and a few longer leisure rides.

With this in mind, I did the 45 miler. My aim was primarily just to finish, and I would be happy to achieve bronze standard.

:biggrin: I'm absolutly over the moon, because I actually got Silver standard in the end, so well chuffed!! :biggrin:

The only thing I would say, is be skeptical of the "no queues" due to the microchip system etc... I turned up to start about 0840, and had to join a huge, and I mean huge, queue to get to start I queued for the thick end of 45 minutes, behind hundreds or riders.

Great day though, can't wait for my next sportive!

Top Bottom