Cheshire ride, Sat, 20th July, 2019 (170 km/106 miles from Walkden, 124 km/77 miles from Dunham)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ, I avoid Ashley crossroads by taking Sunbank Lane from Hale Barns, then following Wilmslow Road through the airport tunnels, up to a right turn for Morley Green, then right again on to the road to Warford and
Ollerton.

It’s cycle paths alongside Wilmslow Road and they’re narrow, but comfortable for a small group.
I was just looking at that again. It is actually only 2 km further than the original route, given that we are heading for Warford and Ollerton anyway.

The first bit through Hale looks good - some very nice houses along there!

My digital OS maps are out of date for the next part. They show Sunbank Lane without all of the new buildings and roads that are obvious on Streetview.

It would make a change to go that way, so I'll knock up a GPX for the modified start as far as where we rejoin the original route... DONE and attached.

Attachments

• Dunham Knolls Green via tunnels.gpx
    5.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I will make this ride if that is ok? I will meet you at the train station in Walkden.
Excellent - you're welcome!

Those starting at Dunham - I don't think we will be early getting there before 09:30 so you don't really need to be there much before that either, but please don't arrive AFTER 09:30.

I'll trawl through the posts now to work out who is coming...

Walkden station:
Dunham Massey

I think that is everyone. If you are on that list and change your mind about coming, please post below so we don't hang about waiting for you.

I have phone numbers for skud and Guy so I can let the groups at Walkden and Dunham know of any significant delays. If the train is going to be more than 10 minutes late I will text skud with an ETA at Walkden. If we expect to arrive at the tree in Dunham later than 09:45, I'll text Guy.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

PS In case you are getting confused, there are 6 GPX files for those doing the whole ride and 4 for those starting at Dunham. Walkden to Dunham via canal, modified start, main loop, 2 bad weather shortcuts, Dunham to Walkden via Irlam Locks.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Well I’m not a happy bunny :sad: My good lady has just come home from work and has now has got to go in tomorrow even though it’s her weekend off so I am on child duty ! I was hoping to at least do half but that’s a no go because she has to cover the morning shift aswell. Have a good one everyone, I know I am definitely going to be thinking of you on my favourite ride :bicycle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well I’m not a happy bunny :sad: My good lady has just come home from work and has now has got to go in tomorrow even though it’s her weekend off so I am on child duty ! I was hoping to at least do half but that’s a no go because she has to cover the morning shift aswell. Have a good one everyone, I know I am definitely going to be thinking of you on my favourite ride :bicycle:
Oh, that's really rotten news!

Hopefully, we can get together for an alternative ride in the next month or two? If you are likely to be free, pencil in the 17th and/or 24th August and I'll see about organising another ride out that way somewhere.

That's really rotten luck, Steve. You have done brilliant to bounce back from your recent health issue.

You can rely on @ColinJ to plan a good ride out that way in the near future.

Looking forward to riding with you again soon.

I'm going to give it a miss,it looks far to wet to be an enjoyable ride for me :rain:

If you're thinking of another ride in August pencil me in for that one,weather permitting!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is now looking like a wet start and much nicer later in the day. I'm veering back towards the CX bike and its mudguards... :whistle:
I'm going to give it a miss,it looks far to wet to be an enjoyable ride for me :rain:

If you're thinking of another ride in August pencil me in for that one,weather permitting!!
Will do. Of course, by sacrificing your ride because of rain, we will probably not get any now!

Saddle bag packed and bike ready to go.

Looking forward to riding with old friends and new.

@colinj,I'll see you on the train that I board at 7.30 am from Littleborough
For some reason, I had been thinking that it left Todmorden at 07:30! I noticed a few minutes ago so I have reset my alarms to get me up in time.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

See you in Walkden.
I'll probably turn around at Dunham.
I've been struggling recently and I'm leading a ride on Sunday too, to Haigh Hall.
Just on the bus home from a colleague's leaving do in Manchester.
Ok - see you outside the station.

I think I WILL ride the CX bike. I would rather have the mudguards and not need them than need them for a few hours but be on the other bike.

List now...

Walkden station:
Dunham Massey

Top Bottom