Chess Master class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
And in case anyone thinks I am not being serious I have even got as far as thinking what "moves" they have, as follows:
Giraffe - can look over any other piece and decide that it wants to be on the otherside, one space move.
Lion - gets to roar loudly and push any other piece one space backwards
Whale - can leap up to 3 spaces sideways or diagonally
Mouse - can scurry round the side of any other piece, forwards or backwards, again upto to 3 spaces

how about you have a budget of points to buy your pieces - so, a load of p(r)awns rather than a queen and two giraffes say

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to be quite good at hnefatafl but never quite got the hang of chess. I could never work out when to huff either (is that chess or something completely different). Hubster has tried to teach me but I am terminally rubbish at tactical games.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Is there scope to changing the pieces and what they can do. I'd like to see a giraffe, a lion, a whale and a mouse incorporated as pieces.
Good question.

Of course the pieces can be pretty much whatever you like and there are thousands of designs, some of them animals but the interesting part of your question is changing what the pieces can do. If you Google "chess variants" you will find hundreds of games using chess pieces but with different rules. Popular ones are: suicide chess, bomb chess, exchange chess, progressive chess. My favourite is "You're Confused" which coincidentally just happens to be one I invented myself (or al least I think I did). The rules are various, confusing and ever changing but always involve playing with the pieces opposite you (i.e. with your opponents pieces - so playing backwards), moving knights like bishops and bishops like knights and pointing with your elbow.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
[QUOTE 3708083, member: 9609"]I play most nights but I am hopeless at it and getting worse - do enjoy it though[/QUOTE]
Chess improvement is not linear. If you play your present in 5 years time with your 5 years time self you will hammer yourself.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
[QUOTE 3708382, member: 9609"]so are you any good, do you have a rating,, if its not too high I will give you a game..[/QUOTE]
Ah... I like the fact that you are checking my credentials before buying into my waffle - others take note!

I have a rating and play in the national league (4NCL), am a former junior British Champ, am a full time chess coach, have played in the Olympiad and organised quite a few tournaments.

Edit - In the scheme of things I'm utter tripe though :blush:

Last edited:
Top Bottom