Chest Pain - visit to docs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just to put a sunny story in here. I had chest pain that felt like heartburn, but I don't often get heartburn and I hadn't had breakfast - I'd never had heartburn on an empty stomach, and it was pretty bad. So cycling paramedic, then an ambulance to Guys, several tests and .... It was heartburn. Told sternly not to feel embarrassed, that I wasn't wasting their time.

I do still feel a little embarrassed about it.

@kingrollo, I hope you feel similarly embarrassed. It may be a pulled muscle. Good luck!

Get it checked out by the professionals, but I often get something like what you describe, and it turns out to be the intercostal muscles ( muscles in between the ribs ) causing it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Get it checked out by the professionals, but I often get something like what you describe, and it turns out to be the intercostal muscles ( muscles in between the ribs ) causing it.

I suffer with them too occasionally. Don't know what I'm doing to damage them, but the first time I had the pain I'd also been having a few palpitations & then out on a sportive anything above 130bpm was giving quite bad chest pain. Doc did an ECG & said it was a possible heart attack :ohmy: Called an ambulance & I was whisked off to the local hospital. Kept in for 24 hours, wired for sound & although had high T waves, they reckoned it must have been normal for me :blush: A couple of ultrasounds & scans then sent on my way.
It was my chiropracter that had a good poke & prod around to find the cause & indeed it was my intercostals. Been suffering with them again recently, but tends to be worse when walking, not cycling.

Best to get checked out when there's any chest pain though, just in cast :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That sounds less than sensible if you might have a heart condition.

Surely it would be wiser to delay a sportive?!? Given that at least one rider a year dies from a typically undiagnosed heart condition on the long blue riband sportives like Ride London :sad:
Agreed.

I was riding up a steep hill on the Tour de Yorkshire sportive a few years back and saw a rather unfit-looking rider weave all over the road towards the summit and then topple off his bike onto the grass verge in a great deal of distress. I and several other riders stopped to see if he was ok. He was purple faced, absolutely bucketing sweat and could barely breathe. He was on his hands and knees at the roadside. He gasped that we should go on, thanks, but he didn't need help.

He really didn't look good. What can you do though if somebody stupidly insists on pushing themselves too hard... :whistle: :blush:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Just back.
First the good. She doesn't think my pain is related to anything with my heart

Now the bad - she discovered a heart murmur - and I have to go for an ECG - then maybe further tests dependent on that.

Said I can carry on exercise normally as I do ....

bit gutted to be honest....

vickster

Legendary Member
Just back.

Now the bad - she discovered a heart murmur - and I have to go for an ECG - then maybe further tests dependent on that.

Why gutted?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My Father had a heart murmur all his life. Detected when he joined the army but they still allowed him to serve .He cycled ,boxed ,played cricket and had an active life . Go for the tests but don't get stressed about it.

Just back.

Heart murmurs are nothing unusual, for physically active people, especially after an exertion, or when under stress. It’s not necessarily anything to be concerned about, but I’m sure the medics will give you a thorough check.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I understand. It's good news he hasn't had a heart attack, but now he knows he's not perfect. That's always gutting.

My brother also has a heart murmur. He is most decidedly not an athlete, but the only effect it's had on him is to make him a little more interesting (yeah, he's a bit dull)
Nobody's perfect...but surely it's better than having a serious heart condition

Nobody's perfect...but surely it's better than having a serious heart condition
God, yes. People aren't logical. When I had a minor cancer scare and was given the all clear, my reaction was - ok, not this time but one day.

@kingrollo - keep reminding yourself that this is good news, and if the heart murmur turns out to be something that needs attention, then you are lucky you found out about it.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I just feel such a fool - all that healthy eating, gym, cycling - and now I find I have this - I might just as well sat on the sofa with a bottle of beer and a big bag of pork scratching's - Anxiety and depression shafted me out of a more comfortable standard living - now this.....

Sure I can pootle around on the flat - but when I said I cycle Im not sure she understood that I regular going up 12% hills - and yes the ticker is pounding - is that normal ? - is it dangerous ? - is that why the hills never seem easier

I m just so f***n angry - and I m not sure why....................Sorry for the rant....

classic33

Leg End Member
I just feel such a fool - all that healthy eating, gym, cycling - and now I find I have this - I might just as well sat on the sofa with a bottle of beer and a big bag of pork scratching's - Anxiety and depression shafted me out of a more comfortable standard living - now this.....

Sure I can pootle around on the flat - but when I said I cycle Im not sure she understood that I regular going up 12% hills - and yes the ticker is pounding - is that normal ? - is it dangerous ? - is that why the hills never seem easier

I m just so f***n angry - and I m not sure why....................Sorry for the rant....
Well I was told to stop riding a bike, different reason, but I still ride. And one thing that counts in my favour is the cycling.

We could all wrap ourselves up in bubble wrap and cotton wool, but where's the fun in that?

You'll just need lower gears for the hills.

Top Bottom