Chest Pain - visit to docs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The other night going hard over a big hill - I noticed a pain in my upper chest - sort of on the pec muscle and moves around to the arm pit and biceps.
I have had this pain before, but as I am gym regular put down too much bench press - but the exertion of going over the hill seemed to bring it on the other night. now I thinking it might not be muscular pain, but the old ticker showing signs of age (55 next month).
Pain is present quite often - the pain itself doesn't bother me ....but just wonder if its not muscular

I have a visit to my GP tonight, but don't have a great relationship with my GP. What should I expect the gp to do ? can she rule out heart problems there and then ...should she listen to my heart ? or will she refer me for tests

I cycle 100 miles per week, don't smoke, and do gym about 3 times per weeks - blood pressure has always been slightly above 'ideal' this morning it was 125/73

If it is angina what is the prognosis for my cycling career ?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The other night going hard over a big hill - I noticed a pain in my upper chest - sort of on the pec muscle and moves around to the arm pit and biceps.
I have had this pain before, but as I am gym regular put down too much bench press - but the exertion of going over the hill seemed to bring it on the other night. now I thinking it might not be muscular pain, but the old ticker showing signs of age (55 next month).
Pain is present quite often - the pain itself doesn't bother me ....but just wonder if its not muscular

I have a visit to my GP tonight, but don't have a great relationship with my GP. What should I expect the gp to do ? can she rule out heart problems there and then ...should she listen to my heart ? or will she refer me for tests

I cycle 100 miles per week, don't smoke, and do gym about 3 times per weeks - blood pressure has always been slightly above 'ideal' this morning it was 125/73

If it is angina what is the prognosis for my cycling career ?
Doc should ask a lot of health/lifestyle/family history questions. Ask about pain specifics, when, what, how, where, breathlessness.
Check Blood Pressure and rate
Listen to heart and breathing
Get you an ECG ASAP -if a good surgery, they can do it there and then.
May also take bloods for certain markers

Depending on all of that, he may decide to look further and a cardio stress-test would be the next action (treadmill plus ECG).

I had an emergency stenting at 42 yrs old (13 years ago), last week it all felt a bit 'weird' so I took myself off to the Docs. She did nothing apart from suggest booking a Cardio stress test and an ECG (2 week wait). When @Hill Wimp got home and I told her what happened she whisked me straight to A&E in Ashford who ran an ECG, took bloods etc etc. A few hours later I left with a clean bill of health. Issue was most likely due to dehydration making me feel sluggish and other symptoms. (Make sure you're taking plenty (non-alcoholic) fluids!

Long-term? There is a whole thread on Cardiac issues. Many here have CHD, multiple Stents and Bypasses. We're still here and we're still cycling!

Slick

Guru
Read the heart thread as there is some good stories on there and it's quite surprising just how many manage different conditions whilst still enjoying cycling.

That said, your probably best not getting ahead of yourself. Start with the doc right away and see what they say. They could send you for tests straight away but that probably depends on where you live but if they do suspect heart trouble it's a stress test on a running machine or bike. I had chest pains at times including when exercising but it turned out to be nothing more than rib joints, soon after my brother had similar pain and was whipped straight to hospital to have stents fitted. Hopefully you will be the same as me.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I am hoping she just tells me to stop worrying - I do suffer a tad with anxiety and depression...

Am I ok to cycle in the interim - I guess I will be waiting ages for the soddin tests - and have signed up for velo south in September

vickster

Legendary Member
See what the GP says :smile: it may be you have to step back the cycling, presumably you can defer the Velothon if need be (if indeed it happens from what I've read about NIMBY protests)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Actually thinking about it - the pain is hardly in my chest at all - its more my armpit - and Pecs (if I had any !) - hopefully it is just a muscle thing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have had angina, you don't get a treadmill test you get an ECG and then probably an angiogram. Then meds, then possibly eventually another angiogram and stents.
It's possible that different regions treat differently, in Oxfordshire I went from ECG at Doctors to Stress Test in hospital to Angiogram. I failed at the stress test before I even got onto the treadmill....

pawl

Legendary Member
I am hoping she just tells me to stop worrying - I do suffer a tad with anxiety and depression...

Am I ok to cycle in the interim - I guess I will be waiting ages for the soddin tests - and have signed up for velo south in September

I had periods of passing out four years ago.ecg done at my surgery Anomly with erratic heart beat.Referred for further tests at Glenfield cardiac unit.Appointment within two weeks diagnosed as faulty Aortic valve,one of the four flaps not opening fully resulting in restricted blood flow.Back in hospital in two weeks later..Discharged within five days.

No road cycling for between eight to eleven weeks the reason for this is to alow the Sternum to heal as this is split during the op and strainingis a no no.Was allowed to use the Turbo with no restrictions other than the above about stressing the op site.

I was 74 at the time of the op.Consultant did say that a lifetime of cycling was a reason for the good outcome

Still going strong but quite a bit slower Avg 13 MPH Gives me time to enjoy the countryside
Hope all goes well

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I had periods of passing out four years ago.ecg done at my surgery Anomly with erratic heart beat.Referred for further tests at Glenfield cardiac unit.Appointment within two weeks diagnosed as faulty Aortic valve,one of the four flaps not opening fully resulting in restricted blood flow.Back in hospital in two weeks later..Discharged within five days.

No road cycling for between eight to eleven weeks the reason for this is to alow the Sternum to heal as this is split during the op and strainingis a no no.Was allowed to use the Turbo with no restrictions other than the above about stressing the op site.

Hmmmmm not good - might delay the appointment until after velo south in September.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmmmmm not good - might delay the appointment until after velo south in September.
That sounds less than sensible if you might have a heart condition.

Surely it would be wiser to delay a sportive?!? Given that at least one rider a year dies from a typically undiagnosed heart condition on the long blue riband sportives like Ride London :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

In 2008 I had what felt like severe indigestion/ heartburn, I had it checked out by the doctor and he refered me to the cardiologist, a few weeks later I had four stents put in, I'd had angina. In 2016 I'd gone out for a ride and was homeward bound and started to get shoulder pain, I thought I'd picked up a shoulder injury, I finished the ride slowly and as the pain went I didn't see my doctor. A couple of days later I tried to ride again but couldn't as it hurt too much, I went down the walk in centre and the doctor sent me straight to A & E, I'd had a heart attack, a few days later they put in another stent and I was discharched, I did the cardiac rehab and about a month later I was back cycling and driving.

Top Bottom