Child seat - front or back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobbles

I'm wanting to cycle with my daughter on my bike - she's 14 months old/11kgs so quite 'robust'(!!!).
What would anyone recommend - Front or back mounted seats?
And any particular makes that are better than the rest?

I like the idea of a front one as I feel I'm more in contact with her, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance ;)

gouldina

Wobbles said:
I'm wanting to cycle with my daughter on my bike - she's 14 months old/11kgs so quite 'robust'(!!!).
What would anyone recommend - Front or back mounted seats?
And any particular makes that are better than the rest?

I like the idea of a front one as I feel I'm more in contact with her, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance xx(

Never used a front sorry but I've used a back one - a Hamax Kiss and was very happy with it for three years or so until the boy got too heavy. It's extremely sturdy. I'm guessing the front ones are only really for very little children so won't last as long?

PpPete

Legendary Member
We used this style when ours were small.
They used to made by US co. called Rhode Gear.
But when i was selling ours on ebay there were some more recent ones of same style being sold under another name.... anyway they were hugely popular, attracted a lot of bids.
The big advantage for me was they fitted a regular Blackburn rack. The more common Halfords/Hamax type, although "detachable" uses a large ugly fitting round the seat post.

But...... 11kg mounted high above rear wheel does not improve bike handling at all. In fact it's horrible. Within a few months you'll be wanting a trailer or even a tag-a-along.

gouldina

porkypete said:
We used this style when ours were small.
They used to made by US co. called Rhode Gear.
But when i was selling ours on ebay there were some more recent ones of same style being sold under another name.... anyway they were hugely popular, attracted a lot of bids.
The big advantage for me was they fitted a regular Blackburn rack. The more common Halfords/Hamax type, although "detachable" uses a large ugly fitting round the seat post.

But...... 11kg mounted high above rear wheel does not improve bike handling at all. In fact it's horrible. Within a few months you'll be wanting a trailer or even a tag-a-along.

The Hamax though does have a degree of "suspension" for the child though unlike the rack mounted ones by virtue of the springiness of the steel risers. I don't really know why you use inverted commas for the "detachable" as the Hamax is extremely easy to remove - I would imagine a lot easier than one mounted on a pannier rack - it's just one click and pull.

PpPete

Legendary Member
2Loose said:
one of the brands that fits the seat to a sturdy rear rack is Co-Pilot.
They make the 'Limo' and 'Taxi' child seats, very popular.

Quite a balanced argument here; http://www.whycycle.co.uk/cycling_with_children/baby_carrying_seats/

The Rhode Gear one we had was very similar to the Co-pilot 'Taxi'.
Very sturdy & safe retention straps for the child. Quick & easy to remove from the rear rack (although could pinch your fingers if you were careless).

leyton condor

Veteran
Front ones are brilliant when they are young as it is much more of a sociable experience. We had a front carrier that was about 15 euros from a trip to Italy, (we no longer have it or I would be more than happy to post it to you) proper cheap as chips affair which are very popular over there, but as User mentioned you do end up pedalling like a frog.
We then upgraded to a Rhode Gear Taxi, maybe not as sociable but quite comfortable and tough as old boots, removable and very stable when cycling.
I would highly recommend it.

fa66ster

I have the 'hamax' seat and it's Fab! The design of the bars allow the seat to naturally spring giving suspension, whats more you push a button and out pops the bars to remove the seat - easy!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Something like this:

4433530014_b07f0807fc.jpg

or like this:

4340761322_f8b19a4451.jpg

??

womblechops

I have a copilot limo and would recommend it. A friend with a sturdier child and a hamax reported that the suspension bounce was actually quite disconcerting. I think that with the raised centre of gravity (a surprise at first) you may prefer the multipoint fixing.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My other half's son has been given a rear type, child's seat. He doesn't have a bike so is looking.

LBS has suggested he gets an Aluminim hard tail. I can see the reason for the hard tail but not the ali. I would worry about the lack of flexibility in the frame and stress cracking. He can only afford a clunker to take daughter out. Should he go for steel or ali as LBS suggests?

I have a second hand Halfords trailer, I bought on ebay, when we take her out. If we can get the old style fixing bracket he can borrow that when he gets his bike.

blxm

I've been using an ibert safe-T-seat for a few months. It's excellent.

http://www.safe-t-seat.co.uk/

I am 6 ft tall so my frame is quite large and my knees barely skim the rounded back of the seat.
My passenger lets out the odd yelp when I bump down a kerb but it feels really solid and balanced doing 15mph on a forest track.
My bike is an aluminium Rockhopper with no suspension.
It would fit a bike with suspension ok. You just need a couple of inches available on the stem.

Passenger will be growing out of it by the end of the summer so watch this space for a 'nearly new' sale.

stowie

Legendary Member
I am interested in getting a child seat for the little one, and have a really daft question. I think I will need a rear seat as my child is too big for a front seat. I have a mens mountain bike with a high cross bar, all the bikes I see with the rear seat fitted have a low cross bar you can step through to sit on the seat. I have to swing my leg over the seat - won't I be kicking my child in the face if I do this?! Sounds really stupid, but I cannot see how you can sit on the bike with a top cross-bar any other way.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I am interested in getting a child seat for the little one, and have a really daft question. I think I will need a rear seat as my child is too big for a front seat. I have a mens mountain bike with a high cross bar, all the bikes I see with the rear seat fitted have a low cross bar you can step through to sit on the seat. I have to swing my leg over the seat - won't I be kicking my child in the face if I do this?! Sounds really stupid, but I cannot see how you can sit on the bike with a top cross-bar any other way.

It's a bit tricky - you need to face the bike and get your leg over the crossbar in front of you, then turn and sort of hop on your other leg to get into position. You'll get the hang of it after a couple of times. You can make it a bit easier by tipping the bike towards you first.

I've got the Topeak one, and it's really good.
Here it is fitted with passenger
P1050479.JPG

, and being ridden.

P1050481.JPG

Top Bottom