Childhood toys...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Action man,meccano,spirograph,Airfix models,i always wanted landing deck but never did get it.I saw one at a car boot not long ago and was very tempted,but it looked pretty rough so didnt bother.Its amazing the nostalgia attack toys give eh.

longers

Legendary Member
Action Men here, my cousin had one with a beard so he was usually designated as the Enemy.

Mine had a bad habit of making ill advised parachute jumps and spending the rest of their lives with one arm ;)

My mum made a space suit for one of them, he looked very Saturday Night Fever and not at all suited for deep space exploration.

Mr Pig

When I was about seven an aunt (friend of my mum) gave a little wooden box puzzle where you have to roll the ball bearing around the maze without it falling into the holes. It was the cheapest little present I got that Christmas but I played with it for hours! I think I still have it somewhere.

We made a death slide for Action Man going from my second-floor bedroom window down to the shed at the back of the garden.

I think that the landing deck thing you're talking about might've been this:
superfd1.jpg

It was total rubbish! Plane goes up, turns around, comes back down again. That was it. You missed nothing.

I also had an airport game but it was rubbish too, really boring. I don't think we finished one game of that:
airtraffic.jpg

Mr Pig

This is great, I'd forgotten all this stuff :0) We had that plane too and a black helicopter. I can't find a picture of it but it was like this one except black with guns on the side.

Helicopter.jpg

I had loads of Corgi diecast toys. I had the UFO Interceptor, two Shadow II tank things, Joe 90's car, Captain Scarlet's car, two Eagle Transporters from Space 1999. These were great toys and would be worth money if I still had them:
Eagletransporter1.JPG
shadow2.JPG

That's not the Corgi one but it looks similar. The Corgi one had less detail and the top opened up to reveal a rocket launcher! :0)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Marbles - the marble competions used to get pretty fierce at school. One day my brother took all my best ones to school without asking, and lost them all. I was furious, especially as my parents wouldn't make him replace them...

We also had tonnes of Lego. Other than that, just books really...

bikie

Über Member
etch a scetch was great but made a mess when I broke it over my sister's head.I'm going to get 1 for my son this christmas

Cars cars cars, Captain Scarlett, T-birds, Matchbox, Hotwheels, I had hundreds of them.

Railway set, natch, an airfix Apollo rocket almost as tall as me which was my pride and joy, and a big collection of balsa gliders and lacky band powered planes.

Later I had radio controlled gliders and speed boats and a brief foray into fly by wire planes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I had Action Man too. Realisitic hair, eagle eyes, gripping hands, and basic commando outfit. I saved up £10 to buy him, took ages. Then later I got another for Christmas, the sailor with a beard, but I never liked his head so much, so when the first one's body wore out, I swapped the heads over and that body lasted for a while longer, although eventually he had no hands, one foot and double hip displaysia (the rubber band holding the legs on rotted when he went diving too often, so my Mum replaced it with elastic, which wasn't so strong). He had a skiing outfit, and a scuba outfit and my Mum made him pyjamas ;) I had a horse for him too, and he ended his days mostly dressed as a Red Injun, with chamois leather trousers....

Otherwise, we had half a dozen Rover biscuit tins with different stuff in collected over the years - farm/zoo animals, dolls' house furniture, dinky cars, lego, playmobil, beads/crafty stuff, felt pens....

Oh and Galt wooden building bricks, in a duffel bag, the rubberised lining of which eventually started to crack and come out in showers every time you tipped the bricks out...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Subbuteo was the game of choice for myself and my peers, in the days when it was much more extensive and there were loads of accessories available such as more realistically sized goals and balls to replace those which came with the boxed sets. Leagues abounded among many groups of friends and the game could be incredably realistic, such as the serious fight between myself and my best mate over a disputed penalty. We did not talk for about a month afterwards.

Scalextric was another favourite. Unfortunately radio control was way out of pocket money range in those days, though I have made up for it since with a collection of cars and motorcycles.

col

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
When I was about seven an aunt (friend of my mum) gave a little wooden box puzzle where you have to roll the ball bearing around the maze without it falling into the holes. It was the cheapest little present I got that Christmas but I played with it for hours! I think I still have it somewhere.

We made a death slide for Action Man going from my second-floor bedroom window down to the shed at the back of the garden.

I think that the landing deck thing you're talking about might've been this:
superfd1.jpg

It was total rubbish! Plane goes up, turns around, comes back down again. That was it. You missed nothing.

I also had an airport game but it was rubbish too, really boring. I don't think we finished one game of that:
airtraffic.jpg

Amazing how our imagination works as youngsters when they advertise these eh.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Lego
Airfix Saturn V rocket
A remote control tiger tank (the remote was a long lead with the control box and batteries in the handset)
More Lego
A carburetter from my Dad's Land Rover
Some real woodwork tools
Even more Lego
A whole load of cars, trucks and space ships I made out of wood
A Dinky Toys Coles crane
Big wooden quarterstaffs and wooden swords my brother and I used to play fight with
A huge box full of Lego

I still have over £1000 worth of Lego Technic that I 'play' with.

Flyingfox

Sindy and Tressy dolls
Mousetrap
Kerplunk
Lady Penelope car
Atari - shared toy with brothers

I had 3 brothers so was lucky enough to play with all their toys as well -
Meccano
Hotrods
Scaletrix
Action men

Why are boys toys so much better than girls toys???

Top Bottom