Children and where food comes from

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_0275.JPG
Just read this in a magazine. Is this really true ? How dreadfully sad if it is.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
View attachment 366148 Just read this in a magazine. Is this really true ? How dreadfully sad if it is.

It wasn't kids that invented the internet...and computers...and smart phones...and TV....and cars....and...and....and...

It was us, the adults. Can't blame the kids. Were those things available when we were kids we would have been just the same as they are now. Kids are a function of the society that adults create for them to grow up in

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4840731, member: 259"]Some Celts call all English people Saxons. We aren't.[/QUOTE]

It is tricky when we only have the one word for Saxon and English

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Balance is good with children. My oldest is a vegetarian but respectful of how others eat. From an early age she has seen me bring game and even half-pigs home as I get it cheaper from an organic farmer unprocessed. I do it myself on an oil cloth on the dining room table. We also breed organic meat and egg chickens.

Organic fruit and veg is grown for their/my 5-a-day.

And they receive a birching occasionally for good measure. Tough life eh?

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was brought up largely in the country and as kids we used to pinch turnips from fields for a snack when we were out snaring rabbits and killing the odd pheasant. I can well understand tho' that city kids have no idea where the food comes from apart from a shop.
I also go along with the statement that many if not most English adults think that England and Britain are synonymous. After all that is what the TV propaganda channel has been telling them for years.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've always been (almost graphically) honest with my 6yo daughter, as an example she loves sausages so I felt she should at least understand that it's parts of a pig minced up. She does take an interest in which specific bits of an anatomy she's eating or helping to cook... so she's heading towards a career in medicine, or for serial killer infamy.
She may well get a conscience about eating animals in time (I find many young girls do at some point), but it's her choice and as long as she understands the issues then I've done my part. It's disgusting that parents let their kids eat so much sh1te like McDonald's without at least making sure they understand what it is. Mind you, some of those parents are possibly as ignorant on food origins as any child.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We also breed organic meat
Do your children know you refer to them thus? :laugh:

perplexed

Guru
The article mentions five to sixteen year olds. I wouldn't expect a 5 year old to know where all their food is coming from.

There was a documentary on the box a few years ago, or it may have been part of a 'food' programme, I forget - anyhow, the interesting thing was the comparison between countries. They looked at children of the same age but different countries and asked the same questions. These revolved around identifying different fruit/veg and asking the 'what is this made of/where does it come from?' type. The performance of the British kids was woeful compared to their Italian counterparts.

perplexed

Guru
It is a simple fact of life that the vast majority of consumers don't spend a second of their lives thinking about where food comes from. Meat is simply a product you find wrapped and sanitised on the supermarket shelf. Processed meat products are just that, and bear no resemblance to the animal they originate from. I am constantly disheartened and dismayed by the number of people who criticise or condemn as cruelty the consumption of wild game, yet perfectly happily eat factory farmed poultry, or intensively reared pork, beef and lamb.

True - quite a few are appalled that a pheasant can be shot for food, and tell you how wrong it is whilst they consume their burger. Which may have had a pretty good life in the fields, but will still have been shoved on a truck, driven goodness knows how far, then 'processed' in an alien, noisy environment which must be traumatic on some level... I say this as a meat eater.

Top Bottom