Children's names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
And Mercedes IS a girl's name. I believe Herr Benz (or was it Herr Daimler) named the car after his business partner's daughter

Mercédès Adrienne Ramona Manuela Jellinek (September 16, 1889 – February 23, 1929) was the daughter of Austrian automobile entrepreneur Emil Jellinek and his wife Rachel Goggmann Cenrobert. She was born in Vienna.[1] She is best known for her father having Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft's line of Mercedes cars named after her, beginning with the Mercedes 35 hp model of 1901.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Jasmine is nice but if you put 'Live' in front of it, it reminds you of the pop-up you can't block. Knowing nods, knowing nods.

I don't know what you mean, please explain :whistle:

I remember listening to "Does the Team Think" on radio 4 one day and there was a question;
"Does the team think that parents give enough thought to naming their children?" it was from a Mr Norman Conquest.

There are school text books in something like Biology writen by a Norman Conquest. Same one?

Mercédès Adrienne Ramona Manuela Jellinek (September 16, 1889 – February 23, 1929) was the daughter of Austrian automobile entrepreneur Emil Jellinek and his wife Rachel Goggmann Cenrobert. She was born in Vienna.[1] She is best known for her father having Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft's line of Mercedes cars named after her, beginning with the Mercedes 35 hp model of 1901.

Which is all very well, but when I see that name, it just makes me think that the parents are materialistic moton idiots. In short, don't name your kid after a car/origin if the name.

Bodhbh

Guru
On the Saxon thing....

I notice Hereward is still popular in East Anglia (akaik Hereward the Wake, the Fenland rebel who gave the Normans some trouble, then melted off into obscurity, probably ran off to Denmark, and was the inspriation for Robin Hood). I'd love to think it was a continous thing, but I bet is was a Victorian revival.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
On the Saxon thing....

I notice Hereward is still popular in East Anglia (akaik Hereward the Wake, the Fenland rebel who gave the Normans some trouble, then melted off into obscurity, probably ran off to Denmark, and was the inspriation for Robin Hood). I'd love to think it was a continous thing, but I bet is was a Victorian revival.
Wow, thought Hereward had died out long ago, great to see some of the old names still going strong, even if they are Victorian reconstructs.

Thinking about it, ages ago I knew someone called Osric, although I think he had a Scandinavian father which may account for it.

I wonder if anyone has been called Baldric?

Mrs M

Guru
I was in a crowded hospital waiting room and there was a girl aged around 4 playing with the toys in the corner.
She wasn't keen to leave them and the (ahem) lady with her barked "J Lo, move it".
:stop: Poor kid.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I've skipped a load of thread, but I'm fairly comfortable these haven't come up.

My dad went out with an American woman whose daughter was called Zebedee, when she'd been born her English husband of the time had convinced her it was a common English name...
When my wife worked in a school she was waiting for the first kid to arrive with a four barrelled surname as double barrelled ones had become so common (unmarried parents choosing to add both names rather than pick one). On double barrelled first names they did have a Tellulahbell-Barbie though.

I worked with someone called 'Daniels' who named her son 'Jack' which just always seemed an odd choice to me.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We had an April, May & June something-doublebarralled at our school. Triplets who stuck together at break times, even though they were in different classes at school. Military kids, like me, who'd been to lots of different schools so making friends was a waste of time when you know you are moving on. I came across them a couple of times at various schools.
One poor bully tried teasing them about their names and call them 'the monthlies' in a snidey sort of voice. He had a fortnight off school to recover :laugh:

All 3 names are rather nice, IMO, but not for triplets.
I was at school with a Mercy Dillbotle. She was brilliant, even with her unfortunate name. When she turned up, we thought she was going to be all shy and retiring. She wasn't and was captain of the hockey & netball teams. Went on to be a PE teacher at a private school. I occasionally hear from her. She's still brilliant.
My Cousin is called Ophelia, you don't hear of too many of those nowadays.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've skipped a load of thread, but I'm fairly comfortable these haven't come up.

My dad went out with an American woman whose daughter was called Zebedee, when she'd been born her English husband of the time had convinced her it was a common English name...
When my wife worked in a school she was waiting for the first kid to arrive with a four barrelled surname as double barrelled ones had become so common (unmarried parents choosing to add both names rather than pick one). On double barrelled first names they did have a Tellulahbell-Barbie though.

I worked with someone called 'Daniels' who named her son 'Jack' which just always seemed an odd choice to me.

Chris Slade, (drummer of AC/DC) son is called Jack Daniel.

Top Bottom