Children's names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chromatic

Legendary Member

This, if you take out the hypen and stick a g on the end, is my surname and I invariably have to spell it out when asked, in fact for many years I have always spelt it out immediately after saying what it is instead of waiting to be asked or having to correct them. I don't think it is that difficult a name to spell, perhaps it is my enunciation, but imagine if it was spelt Caoilfhionng.

tyred

Legendary Member
Apparently some people call their kids after where they were conceived.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr Ford Cortina 1.6GL

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I have met many over the years, Zargon, Rabbit, Calypso, Africa, Talulah, Carrot to name few.

Calypso is a perfectly good classical name surely? One of Odysseus's lovers, kept him prisoner even- though maybe that's not such a good precedent..

... and after looking her up daughter of a Titan no less.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Put it like this, if I ever meet XTC they are dead.:cursing:
That was weird. Read this post, walked upstairs and guess who was on the radio? Your name wouldn't be Sgt. Rock by any chance?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Funny thing attitude to names. I was dealing with a Hungarian supplier with technical director called Attila. It felt very odd exchanging emails with Attila the Hun. Presumably it's seen as the name of a great leader liberating his people from their conquerors rather than as a barbarian at the gates.

One of my cousins has just had a child and their first name is actually Genghis.

Sandra6

Veteran
There are some very conservative attitudes to names here! Most of the ones given as examples aren't " out there " at all in my opinion, but I have a Joby and Roanne myself and amongst my friends children are Frey, Oran, Eben, Aurora, Caspian, Pashley ,and I don't consider any of them odd.
There was a list published of the most unusual names of the year which included Olaf ( as in the snowman from frozen) and some from game of thrones that I can't pronounce!
Calling a child Django is odd.
Or people who misspell names like shivon ( Siobhan) or raychel. Why??

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There are some very conservative attitudes to names here! Most of the ones given as examples aren't " out there " at all in my opinion, but I have a Joby and Roanne myself and amongst my friends children are Frey, Oran, Eben, Aurora, Caspian, Pashley ,and I don't consider any of them odd.
There was a list published of the most unusual names of the year which included Olaf ( as in the snowman from frozen) and some from game of thrones that I can't pronounce!
Calling a child Django is odd.
Or people who misspell names like shivon ( Siobhan) or raychel. Why??

They named a kid after a bike? What's wrong with a nice traditional name like Raleigh or Peugeot?

Top Bottom