Chinese cycle clothing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Quality is similar to Aldi gear in my experience. Similar price to that gear too so not as big a bargain as it appears when compared to the official Nalini / Craft / Castelli branded team kit

Better value to be had in Decathlon IMO

Have you ever bought cycling products directly from China ?

Suspect not ! that is why in my opinion you do not know what you are talking about !

May I suggest you give them a try,you may be pleasantly surprised.

Aldi cycling products,in my experience often not very good,although I did buy a cycle repair stand from them that was good for the price.

Decathlon offerings !!!!! possibly satisfactory for you, but not for me.

zizou

Veteran
Have you ever bought cycling products directly from China ?

Suspect not ! that is why in my opinion you do not know what you are talking about !

May I suggest you give them a try,you may be pleasantly surprised.

Aldi cycling products,in my experience often not very good,although I did buy a cycle repair stand from them that was good for the price.

Decathlon offerings !!!!! possibly satisfactory for you, but not for me.

I wouldnt have passed judgement on it if i hadn't tried it. Fit was poor - unlike well designed cycling gear, that feels more comfortable on the bike than off it, the ebay stuff (i got mellow johnnies and saxo bank bibs and tops) feels worse when on the bike and just doesnt sit on the body right. Stitching and finish on the tops isn't great it was passable and i still wear them - unlike the shorts.

Quality wise they do not compare favourably to what the main team manufacturers like Nalini, Sportful, Castelli or Craft offer (incidentally most of these products are not made in China but in Europe, its not like the situation with bike frames). Not knocking the Chinese for poor quality - Rapha for example manufacture their clothes there and the quality is better (and more expensive) than alot of the pro kit. But getting the counterfeit stuff to save a bit of money is a false economy.

Anyway whats up with Decathlon? :biggrin:

Crimmey

I have to say the fit was surprisingly good, I bought one set as a 'tester' as I need a fair bit of stuff . I was advised to buy big but didn't listen which Im glad as the small bib shorts were perfect, the small jersey a little big, but still fits nicely and I am fairly stocky. Its been washed ~10 times and no fading or stitching problems.... yet. I would deffo recommend. Although my experience on the expensive stuff is limited I still cannot justify buying it as all the cheap stuff I buy has lasted 2 years ( which I am just starting to replace) apart from the decathlon super cheap shorts at £7.99 which are good for a couple of washes only then the pad is useless.

Doug.

Veteran
Zizou.

The main point is you are happy with what you buy,and for that I am very pleased.

Re. Decathlon, I have bought some very unsatisfactory products from them.
It is possible that I am an undiscerning shopper (more than likely) or have been just unlucky.
Decathlon cycles do not seem very good or even reasonable value for money compared to other cycle retailers.
Living in France apart from the Internet or local independent cycle shop I enjoy shopping from a a retail chain of shops called InterSport (not sure if they have stores in the U.K.) they tend to have nice quality cycle components and clothes at prices that are affordable.

Yours

Doug.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Unfortunately Intersport have no outlets in UK.
I've always been happy with what I've bought from Decathlon.... unlike my one & only purchase from China...
I could live the logos on the arms being upside down, the mis-spelt "made in Italy / 100% Polysetre"
label inside, but the fabric, although very comfortable when dry, when it got wet - it stayed wet for ages, worse than denim...

rockyraccoon

Veteran
I wonder how they can get away selling hundreds of team kit when according to ebay they review some list..

Code:
Are you attempting to list a counterfeit or non-authentic item? Are you aware the listing of such items is not allowed on eBay?
If you continue, your listing will be flagged and promptly reviewed. If your listing appears to offer a counterfeit or non-authentic item, it will be ended and your eBay account could be suspended. We may also refer your listing to the relevant company or law enforcement for review.

If the item is authentic, we encourage you to provide more information in your listing. If it comes with a Certificate of Authenticity or has a serial number please state this in your listing.

We appreciate your help making eBay an even safer place to trade.

Click here for a window with eBay's policy on counterfeit items.

Click here for a window with About Me pages created by trademark owners.

Warning: Do not click the submit button, unless you know the item is authentic.

Weller Fan

Just received my cycling kit bought via Ebay from China. Can only use one word to describe the quality.......excellent!

The fit is perfect & I'm really surprised how good it looks considering the price which I paid. Top marks from me for the Chinese.

Chris-H

Über Member
No matter whats said and done their food is bloody awesome :biggrin:

Grizzly

I've got a couple of Chinbay (Chinese/Ebay) tops and they are OK, when you take the cost of £17 each they are good value. I've also purchased direct from a Chinese site, I've not wore the kit yet as the material is so thin it will only be suitable for hot days. When you take delivery costs into account the direct from Chinese web site stuff is way over priced, it costs more for delivery than for the items themselves. I have also bought low priced team kit from Wiggle, good quality material, well made but crap padding. From now on I'll be sticking to dhb, Atura etc, you get good quality, O.K. it costs a bit more but you know what you are getting and if its faulty you can take it back.

camtheman

Regular
I've had quite a few kits and so long as you go for the stuff that has orange pads and white bibs, you can't go wrong.

I can and have ridden over 100 miles commando (!) and suffered no soreness or adverse effects so the shorts are just fine.

The kit that is normally marked as Monton is probably the best of all.

My brother has always bought genuine kits from Castelli. Until, that is, I loaned him my Castelli kit from China and he reckons the so called knockoff is better than the real stuff.

The only issue is sizing but you have that anyway even with the real stuff if you by mail order. Look at the sizing charts on Ebay listings very carefully and make sure you don't flatter yourself by pretending you're a 32" waist if you're really a 34! For shorts sets, consider going up a size on your usual and you'll probably be OK. The size charts normally have a weight range which is helpful.

The thermal winter kits are absolutely brilliant but for some reason tops seem to be made a bit bigger than bottoms! However, most sellers allow you to mix sizes.

The autumn/spring kits (ie thin but long sleeves and legs) are the only thing I'd avoid as for some strange reason the tights seem baggy and allow the pads to shift around you arse. Even so, the tops are really good and still a bargain on their own.

Reading comments from folks who say Chinese quality is poor reminds me of the days when they said the same about Japanese cars. And look what happened to Bristish car manufacturers.

James D

I picked up a 2010 Pinarello Team kit from a Chinese manufacturer and the quality is A1 for the money. Shorts are a better fit than my specialized ones. As previous posters have mentioned the fit is slightly small but as long as you follow the size chart you should get kit that fits you well and looks pretty good!
As an aside I work in the clothing industry and the brand I work for (high end outdoor wear) makes 60-70% of its clothes in China. The fallacy that Chinese products are inferior in some way is just that.

Ethan

I got me some cheap Chinese stuff, the result was bitter sweet.
The item came in a week and a half, superb!
Fit perfectly well, looked great too!

The fabric its self was tiptop, just as good as the real deal, and the padding in the shorts was the real deal!
YKK zips (unless they do fake YKK too?) were really strong, and have not failed on me a single time (where as my endura jersey seem to think the zip is an optional extra)

But the stitching... My god! The stitching! It was as if it had been put together buy someone who has recently had a 'home economics' lesson at school. Shockingly poor!
The pockets broke on the first outing, and the crotch area soon started to come apart.
After a couple of hours restitching by hand (which would have been a doddle if I had a sewing machine.) I would honestly say it was just as good as the genuine thing.

I wasn't expecting much, but I'm chuffed! Even if I did have to put in a bit of hard work!
But I guess its a bit of a gamble as to what you receive, and I suppose most people wouldn't be willing to stitch their brand new jersey back together :laugh:

Ethan

My brother has always bought genuine kits from Castelli. Until, that is, I loaned him my Castelli kit from China and he reckons the so called knockoff is better than the real stuff.

Funnily enough my genuine castelli bibs are coming apart at the crotch just like the cheap chinese stuff did! (see above post).
I wouldn't say the chinese stuff I got is as good as the Castelli stuff, but its no worse! And it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Top Bottom