Chip paint on frame.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Ɯber Member
Hi, I have an 2017 Orbea Avant, it was in mint condition until now, just notice I got a chip on the top tube. Apparently my son was putting something in the shed a couple of days ago and he knocked 2 spray can of the shelve and hit the framešŸ˜”. Please see photo, any suggestion of how to repair/touch up would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 769D90EE-6165-4DCF-AE59-C3B3AD2CC699.jpeg
    769D90EE-6165-4DCF-AE59-C3B3AD2CC699.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 31

Punkawallah

Ɯber Member
My ā€˜go toā€˜ is nail varnish. But thatā€™s on a steel frame. Who knows what it could do to carbon?

Iā€™d be tempted to try degreasing and then acrylic paint. Itā€™s innocuous enough.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nail varnish should be Okay on carbon but if you don't like that try going to a model shop if you have one local and look at their Humbrol enamel tinlets. Think you can buy online. Loads of colours and you can always try mixing them if you can't get an exact match. Remember it'll look slightly different when dry.

1622912657137.png

All uphill

Still rolling along
My ā€˜go toā€˜ is nail varnish. But thatā€™s on a steel frame. Who knows what it could do to carbon?

Iā€™d be tempted to try degreasing and then acrylic paint. Itā€™s innocuous enough.
My steel tourer has more nail varnish than paint now.šŸ˜

One day soon I will ask Superdrug for 2 litres of cherry red nail varnish and do the job properly.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Ɯber Member
Nail varnish should be Okay on carbon but if you don't like that try going to a model shop if you have one local and look at their Humbrol enamel tinlets. Think you can buy online. Loads of colours and you can always try mixing them if you can't get an exact match. Remember it'll look slightly different when dry.

View attachment 592329
I probably go down this route, I trying to find the correct colour. Just email Orbea if they could supply me a colour code and I hoping is a RAL number.šŸ¤ž

Dag Hammar

I wonder if these automotive ā€œsmart repairā€ and ā€œchips awayā€ people might be worth investigating. Iā€™ve never had any experience of them myself but the very nature of their work is touching in small areas of paintwork.
No doubt it will cost more than attempting to do a touch-in yourself but if they do the job well and the end result is a good colour match and finish then it would be money well spent.

a.twiddler

Veteran
The first cut is the deepest..... my bikes, being used, have battle scars but I was there when the newer ones happened. Still I can blame myself for most of these and put it down to wear and tear. Annoying though when something you have been careful with gets dinged by someone else in your absence.

It's a long time since I had a brand new bike and I remember the pang when the first chip or scratch occurred to something which I had maintained and polished to the nth degree. Somehow the magic is tarnished and it is on its way to becoming less special. I am not such a polisher these days, fortunately and put the blemishes down to "character" and "having a history". Well, that's what I tell myself, anyway.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You say that, but the poor man will be having to sleep at nights with the knowledge that his frame is ā€˜sulliedā€™ :-)
Exactly. The OP has my sympathy. One reason why I usually buy black or grey bikes is when the inevitable scratch or chip happens it's relatively easy to deal with.

Clear nail varnish on carbon has always worked for me.

I recall one time when a friend rested his bike against mine at a cafe stop. His bike slipped making an inch long scratch on my left fork. I said nothing but boy was I unhappy!

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Ɯber Member
Exactly. The OP has my sympathy. One reason why I usually buy black or grey bikes is when the inevitable scratch or chip happens it's relatively easy to deal with.

Clear nail varnish on carbon has always worked for me.

I recall one time when a friend rested his bike against mine at a cafe stop. His bike slipped making an inch long scratch on my left fork. I said nothing but boy was I unhappy!
So do you think nail varnish be ok? Thinking popping down to Superdrug with the misses. Donā€™t want to go on my own they may think is for myself. Light blue colour suit me fine.šŸ¤£

Top Bottom