Chippenham cycle routes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Hi guys/gals,

Visiting Chippenham from tomorrow till Tuesday and was wondering if anyone had some route suggestions?

Staying just outside Lacock, looking to do between 40 and 60 miles if the weather isn't too bad. Ideally, I would like to stay off busy roads, if there are any climbs around all the better.

Thanks in advance.

vickster

Legendary Member

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Hi guys/gals,

Visiting Chippenham from tomorrow till Tuesday and was wondering if anyone had some route suggestions?

Staying just outside Lacock, looking to do between 40 and 60 miles if the weather isn't too bad. Ideally, I would like to stay off busy roads, if there are any climbs around all the better.

Thanks in advance.

If you are just outside lacock try the Bowden hill, then along to rowde, across to westbury or Warminster, then cut back through trowbridge. back.

Either that or get tonrowde, then head to devizes, out to all cannings and avebury. and back. that is one od my fave routes atm... enjoy.

there is a real nice café in rowed, the rowdey cow, try and incorporate that into your rides...

might see you out, wave if you see a laid back trike!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not many of the usual cafe coffee stops open until after New Year, garden centres open though. For routes have a look at ride with gps Chippenham Wheelers - lots of routes - I recommend the routes to the north - Malmesbury, Tetbury, Cotswold Water Park, around 45 - 55 miles. Hills galore on the edge of the Cotswolds and around Nailsworth, but thats getting to be quite a long ride. Closer hills to the south - Bowden (and Naish - steeper than Bowden) very close to Lacock (and then there is Sandridge Hill not far away) and then out to Clyffe Peppard, or Broad Town, and then Hackpen Hill onto the downs to Marlborough. There are also some short sharp up and downs not far away around Bremhill.

adamhearn

Veteran
I personally ride out of the East side of Chippenham towards Stanley then on to Foxham, Dauntsey, Great Somerford and then depending on ride distance, West over to Grittleton or North through some more villages then down to Grittleton coming back into Chippenham via Yatton Keynell and Biddestone.

You can add hills around Bremhill and then around LIttle Somerford/Malmesbury.

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Thanks for all the input. I made a route of some 45 miles last night and put it on the Garmin ready. With all the debris on the smaller roads at home I decided to stick to mainly larger roads but avoiding the main trunk road.

Thanks all

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-28-08-11-37.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-28-08-11-37.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom