Choices Choices!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Thinking about the above 3 as new wheels as the better half has given the go ahead to get some new wheels and the end of the season brings mucho bargains. Can get all of these for £320 to £350 (unless anyone knows better ;) ) but not sure which ones are better? TBH I don't think there's a bad choice out of them all but no harm getting some opinions is there. I'm 12st and will use them for general riding, sportives and maybe the odd TT. Want something good on climbs but smooth on the flats. I'm a bit of a tart so like the Campag spokes, Mavic hubs and Fulcrum graphics B)

So any help or opinions welcome.

tigger

Über Member
Thinking about the above 3 as new wheels as the better half has given the go ahead to get some new wheels and the end of the season brings mucho bargains. Can get all of these for £320 to £350 (unless anyone knows better ;) ) but not sure which ones are better? TBH I don't think there's a bad choice out of them all but no harm getting some opinions is there. I'm 12st and will use them for general riding, sportives and maybe the odd TT. Want something good on climbs but smooth on the flats. I'm a bit of a tart so like the Campag spokes, Mavic hubs and Fulcrum graphics B)

So any help or opinions welcome.

Hi,

I'm going through exactly the same choices so let me know how you get on!

I started a similar thread and was recommended Shimano RS80s so it may be worth adding the the list. Can you fit Zondas to shimano cassette?

Cheers,

Tim

Rule No 1 - if you buy a pair of good wheels you will want a better pair almost immediately.

I have a pair of Zonda's (relegated to winter use after falling victim to rule no 1) which are a great starter wheel but do require a bit of tweaking to keep true after a pothole or two. They have Record class hubs together with strong spokes and rims and you can buy a spoke replacement kit for around £20 odd which gives you 2 of each in the unlikely event of a spoke failure.

They don't have holes for spokes in the upper rim so no rim tape is needed which makes putting on tyres entirely by hand a doddle.

I'd consider the Ksyrium Elites at this price but have not used them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Latest spec F3s and Zonda equivalents are practically identical apart from the spoke lacing pattern. For some reason you save 15g by getting the Zonda 2-way fit version over the F3 equivalents. Not long had the Zondas, been very happy with them so far. Zondas are indeed available in a Shimano freehub version as well as Campag.

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Planet X have Fulcrum 3s (Campag only) for £275

Saw them Noodley and bought them
rolleyes.gif
then realised they are silver and not black
angry.gif
so they are going back - my own stupid fault really.
Also meant to say I am running campag so can consider all but if I was running shimano I'd not look at Campag wheels - it's just not right is it!?!? Similarly for putting a campag freehub/cassette on Shimano wheels (if thats even possible
wacko.gif
)

Andy at Leslie Bike Shop says he'll try and do me a good deal on any that I'm thinking of so I'm hoping he comes up with some thing as close to £300 as possible. Just don't tell my wife
thumbsup.png
whistling.gif

Top Bottom