Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Specialized Sirrus 4.0

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Specialized Sirrus X 4.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Hello. I voted Giant because I'd imagine it, along the with Boardman, will be cheapest. And being a Giant, it may have a better chance of being well assembled at a LBS (I have both Giants and Boardmans and have had good service from both giant and halfords).

But more important than that, go to your two closest LBSes. Have a chat with those nice people and whoever you like the most (or whichever shop is easier to get to), buy whatever brand they sell.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Which do you like best?

Which is available in a size that fits you?

Which retailer local to you will take time to ensure you are comfortable?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll pay a premium for the big names, might arguably worth it if a better warranty is offered or they are stocked by a local shop. Always good to have somewhere close to hand if problems arise.
I'd go for the Boardman,well thought of on here.
Have a look at Decathlon if there's one near you, they offer good VfM and great warranty.
Halfords service can be very hit and miss.
DON'T buy anything with a suspension fork.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Waseem1985

Regular
You'll pay a premium for the big names, might arguably worth it if a better warranty is offered or they are stocked by a local shop. Always good to have somewhere close to hand if problems arise.
I'd go for the Boardman,well thought of on here.
Have a look at Decathlon if there's one near you, they offer good VfM and great warranty.
Halfords service can be very hit and miss.
DON'T buy anything with a suspension fork.

Does that include keeping away from the hardtail and future shock offered on the Sirrus bikes?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I've no experience of the 'future shock' offered by Specialized. It's main advantage is that it doesn't weigh a ton like a suspension fork but time will tell if the system is reliable and does not cause problems over a period of ownership. I'm a great advocate of K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid 🙂

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I woulda cast my vote but cba to google 'em. Links in the OP to all considerations would boost your feedback volume, imho.
Nothing is good at handling pot holes btw - they need to be avoided, ideally...

OP
OP
W

Waseem1985

Regular
I woulda cast my vote but cba to google 'em. Links in the OP to all considerations would boost your feedback volume, imho.
Nothing is good at handling pot holes btw - they need to be avoided, ideally...

Here's a quick comparison of them all.

https://99spokes.com/en-GB/compare?...sirrus-4.0-2022,specialized-sirrus-x-4.0-2022

vickster

Legendary Member
Fatter tyres will give you more comfort (and potentially grip) on rough surfaces, but they will slow you down on a decent road surface - how do the tyres compare (assuming you don't want to spend £50+ on new tyres straight away).
Most have a 1x chainset (other than one Sirrus), is this what you want for the terrain you'll be riding.

Go try them all out as ultimately they are all pretty similar and will do pretty much the same thing.
Personally I'd add a Whyte R7 model to the list and try it out :okay:

That said £800+ is a lot to spend on a bike for occasional recreational riding, have you considered second hand or a cheaper model?
eg something like this from Decathlon
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-...c-120-disc-brake-blue/_/R-p-311239?mc=8556195

OP
OP
W

Waseem1985

Regular
Fatter tyres will give you more comfort (and potentially grip) on rough surfaces, but they will slow you down on a decent road surface - how do the tyres compare (assuming you don't want to spend £50+ on new tyres straight away).
Most have a 1x chainset (other than one Sirrus), is this what you want for the terrain you'll be riding.

Go try them all out as ultimately they are all pretty similar and will do pretty much the same thing.
Personally I'd add a Whyte R7 model to the list and try it out :okay:

That said £800+ is a lot to spend on a bike for occasional recreational riding, have you considered second hand or a cheaper model?
eg something like this from Decathlon
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-...c-120-disc-brake-blue/_/R-p-311239?mc=8556195

I think low number of gears would work well for a beginner like me? They seem to have a good range.

Thank you for your recommendations

vickster

Legendary Member
I think low number of gears would work well for a beginner like me? They seem to have a good range.

Thank you for your recommendations

The differences between the gears is more important than the number. Is it flat or hilly around you?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, those Specialized models do look poor value against the competition.
They are made by Merida so may as well get one from them. That’s another suggestion for the OP. Unfortunately they don’t have much of a selection in Hybrids, in fact only one, probably as a result of an agreement with Specialized.

Top Bottom