Choosing the Correct Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have a charge spoon, its new and in the cupboard...with a few other saddles that HLF after a short time riding.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

seriously from what I can see on here about 85% of people who try a Charge Spoon love it, so probably worth a try and see if you are one ff them. Cheap and saves all the faff if it works for you

I just checked them out online. If I get the measurements done, the few dollars for one of them might be worth it. Never know until you try. If it doesn’t work, well, not much lost. I could spend a pound and a crown on a better saddle, and have the same negative results.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I just checked them out online. If I get the measurements done, the few dollars for one of them might be worth it. Never know until you try. If it doesn’t work, well, not much lost. I could spend a pound and a crown on a better saddle, and have the same negative results.

Sell easy on ebay if you dont like it...must sell mine as i dont get on with it

Rowano

I got a giant saddle with my defy 5 years ago... Lucky I never had any problems with it and still have it today after thousands of miles. Don't know what the problem is :laugh:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is the answer 'Charge Spoon'? :laugh:

Seriously though, i think bike geometry and set-up are almost equally as important as saddle choice (within reason).
I find that different saddles suit different bikes. For my ‘racier’ bikes with bars lower than the saddle a Charge Spoon IS the answer, (for me), for all others where the position is a little more upright a Brooks B17 fits the bill perfectly.

Now I’ve shifted a little aerobelly, I’ve flipped the stem and lowered the bars on the Rourke and found the venerable B17 was no longer the chaise-longe it once was, but again tried a ‘Spoon’ on it for the Friday’s ride last week and it’s just the job.

My conclusion from this aimless rambling is that saddle choice is indeed about your body and your particular bike set-up.

B17s and Spoons work for me.

Drago

Legendary Member
I find the cheapo Selle saddles that come with Giants are comfier than a hammock made from an angels wings.

Smudge

Veteran
Also the Selle Royal on my Raleigh Pioneer E is well comfy.....
Not so the standard saddle that came on my Carrera Crossfire, it was horrendously uncomfortable. Had to change that asap.

Smudge

Veteran
I bought the trekking version Wittkop saddle from Lidl to replace the Crossfire saddle. It was only £8, but its one of the most comfortable saddles i've ever had.
Still using it now years after i bought it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For my ‘racier’ bikes with bars lower than the saddle a Charge Spoon IS the answer, (for me), for all others where the position is a little more upright a Brooks B17 fits the bill perfectly.
Not sure I am quite the opposite of this or not? My MTB has a reasonably low front end but the Spoon is perfect. The hybrid is higher but perfect, while the 'road' bike is quite high but the Spoon isn't as good on this as it is on the flat bar bikes. I have messed about with saddle position and stem height endlessly but just don't seem to be able to dial in the Spoon on the drop bars to quite the perfection achieved on the flat bars.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I started a thread a few days ago about saddle comfort, but I thought it might be a good idea to post some videos on how to select the proper saddle for maximum comfort.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woPooOui4T0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgDxD-SAjc

Hope this helps those who, like me, are experiencing some saddle discomfort.

First video is from sqlab and they're not really saddles IMO because they're flattish platforms not saddle shaped. The relatively wide flat surfaces allow them to claim they fit a range of sit bone widths so sell each to more people but the fairly square edges will irritate many people who ride frequently.

The second video seems to amount to trying loads of saddles, which can get expensive if you're not a shop.

I'd suggest measuring your sit bone width when sat similar to how you sit on that bike (stairs are often helpful) and using that to figure out saddle width as described, then try to estimate the length you want (27cm seems common and suits most people) and the sharpness of the curve along the sides: do you prefer more T shaped or more triangle shaped? If you go too triangle it'll chafe your thighs, but if you go too T, it'll put too much pressure on the back of them at the saddle edge like I mentioned the sqlab ones might. One advantage of leather saddles is the ability to mess with the shape a little with initial moulding, tension and lacing.

Take a tape measure to the shop and curse all the online retailers who don't display full saddle measurements.

And it need not be expensive. Most of the old classic saddles or their clones can be had for under £20.

Top Bottom