Choosing the Correct Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is the answer 'Charge Spoon'? :laugh:

Seriously though, i think bike geometry and set-up are almost equally as important as saddle choice (within reason).

I have just changed my saddle to a Specialized Romin pro and used this info on the diagrams below, I had my sit bones measured at 145mm, I bought a 168mm saddle and on my last 2 rides it was a pleasure to use it

Spec2.png
Spec3.png

I did it at home first by using a damp piece of kitchen paper on a sheet of cardboard then measuring the center of the wet marks ,this gave me a reading of 145mm, when I visited the LBS over the weekend I asked them to measure me ,sat on a bag of green slime/gel in a pouch with a hard white base this gave a reading of 145, so a 168 saddle bought

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

If you’re narrow like myself then a Brooke’s c13 will do nicely.

Narrow, I wish. Just kidding. I love Brooks saddles. Had them on my bikes when I was a kid.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I did it at home first by using a damp piece of kitchen paper on a sheet of cardboard then measuring the center of the wet marks ,this gave me a reading of 145mm, when I visited the LBS over the weekend I asked them to measure me ,sat on a bag of green slime/gel in a pouch with a hard white base this gave a reading of 145, so a 168 saddle bought

Really? I should give that a try. Although, the tech at the store said it’s a free service. I like free. :okay:

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

And then you still can't be sure j til you park your arse on one and get some miles in.

Yes indeed, especially if you get a full leather saddle like a Brooks. Takes some time for the saddle and your area to get along. At least make sure the saddls is the right fit first, then time in the saddle is in order.

Yes indeed, especially if you get a full leather saddle like a Brooks. Takes some time for the saddle and your area to get along. At least make sure the saddls is the right fit first, then time in the saddle is in order.

I have two B17 champion specials, one is comfy as a sofa :bicycle:the other rubs bits off me:cry:. I will have to keep experimenting with the tilt,

Top Bottom