Choosing the ideal saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am not sure if this is a ridiculous question or indeed if there is some science behind this.....

Bike fitting is obviously a thing but is there such a thing as saddle fitting, other than trial and error? Obviously people have a range of bottom sizes/natures padding and there are a range of saddle sizes with a variety of material and levels of padding. Is there a "scientific" method of matching bum to seat?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not foolproof but knowing your sit bone width measurement and the type of saddle shape that suits you, is a decent start. Then it’s trial and error!

Some companies offer trial saddles or money back guarantees. Such as Digilove who supply Selle Italia

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some of the saddles you get on new bikes are not very good (to put it politely).

A Charge Spoon is a very popular option for many folk, but doesn't suit everyone. That said, they are easy to sell on and not expensive.

OP
OP
Son Of Anarchy

Son Of Anarchy

Regular
Not foolproof but knowing your sit bone width measurement and the type of saddle shape that suits you, is a decent start. Then it’s trial and error!

Some companies offer trial saddles or money back guarantees. Such as Digilove who supply Selle Italia
Thank you Vickster, I will check them out :okay:

Sharky

Guru
Before rushing out to buy a new saddle, have you exhausted the range of adjustments you can do to the saddle. Minor tweaks in fore/aft and height can make a lot of difference.

edit: and tilt up/down

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Some of the saddles you get on new bikes are not very good (to put it politely).

That’s generally true but I recently bought from Decathlon the saddle fitted to theor Triban 520, it’s about ten quid, and I find it very comfy. Won’t suit everyone of course but should suit a range of backsides, for the price it’s worth a try.

si_c

Guru
I just used whatever came with the bike - most of the time it's been fine for me. I know I prefer narrower saddles generally though - and always got on very well with a Selle Italia Turbo so recently got a 134mm Fabric Line Elite saddle which is seriously comfortable. Did a 62mi ride on Sunday in regular shorts with no discomfort despite it being my longest ride by some margin in about a year.

Essentially it's a case of figuring out what works for you and if you haven't got there yet then trying something like a Charge Spoon which is well liked by a lot of people and cheap can't hurt but ultimately you need to try a few different saddles.

That’s generally true but I recently bought from Decathlon the saddle fitted to theor Triban 520, it’s about ten quid, and I find it very comfy. Won’t suit everyone of course but should suit a range of backsides, for the price it’s worth a try.

View attachment 541038
I agree - some bike outfits really know what they are about - best saddle for me came with a dale - later found out you could get it for £15 - then they swiftly discontinued it.
On the original question - not daft at all - one day man invented the wheel, the next day started fretting about the saddle.

As vickster says, I think the first step is to figure the basic shape/dimensions that suit you, ensure that you are putting the weight on your sitbones and that your thighs don't rub the projecting forward bit. Once you have done that, I think the rest is detail, degree of padding etc - err on the side of minimal padding I'd say.
I now pretty much know what shape suits me so now all pretty simple.
One thing I would say is beware of fancy fancy new theory shapes - most to my eyes are just efforts to mystify the subject/bump up the price.
You don't have to spend a lot for a good saddle.
A fair few of Decathlons are effectively Selle Royal I think - I would check them out - they have a good record of quality saddles though they have also joined the holy mystification cult with some of their other newer saddles which they use a different brand for.
I have getting on for ten bikes and I don't think any of the saddles on any of them cost me more than £25. One of them has an as-new saddle on (in that perfect shape) I picked up for a fiver.

OP
OP
Son Of Anarchy

Son Of Anarchy

Regular
@Son Of Anarchy are you using padded shorts and are they decent ones with the right shaped pad for you? If those aren’t right then it could be those as much as the saddle
Hi Vickster

I aren't using padded shorts at all as the moment, mainly because I aren't cycling far enough. However I will be doing the coast to coast next month and planning LEJOG MAY 2021 so once I up the distance I am guessing my ass will feel it more hence why I wondered (before I start investing in several saddles to find the right one) if there was a way of eliminating much of the choice out there early on.

Seems a sit bone measurement and a Charge Spoon will be my first purchases. Soon to be followed by padded shorts.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster

I aren't using padded shorts at all as the moment, mainly because I aren't cycling far enough. However I will be doing the coast to coast next month and planning LEJOG MAY 2021 so once I up the distance I am guessing my ass will feel it more hence why I wondered (before I start investing in several saddles to find the right one) if there was a way of eliminating much of the choice out there early on.

Seems a sit bone measurement and a Charge Spoon will be my first purchases. Soon to be followed by padded shorts.
I wear padded shorts for anything over a mile, far more comfortable for my anatomy, and nothing to do with sit bones

Charge spoon are all one size so you do t need the sit bone measurement. It’ll either be ok or it won’t!

Assume you’ve checked your saddle is level or maybe slightly nose down

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
And whats wrong with a Brookes saddle? :laugh::laugh::laugh: I used to use one but they are so heavy and need a raincover. (rear end controversy alert!)
IMHO, ride on whatever you have (with a good quality pad) for as long as it takes for you to forget about it (within reason)
then make it a thing to never, ever mention it. :stop:
I hope this doesn't sound obtuse.

If we all took that view we'd all still be riding around on Brookes saddles. Which would be fine for some. But distinctly un-fine for the rest of us.

My advice on saddles is to ignore all advice. Trust only your arse.
Agree - I do follow my arse - by "new" designs I mean very new, lots of the ever more fanciful designs - things with slots etc. My saddles comfy saddles are all pretty basic designs - worst case scenario these get discontinued as they are too good value, best case the company just relegates them, makes them available under an apparently more humble brand while trying to sell other people up. So they are still available to discerning arses everywhere. Selle Royal make good saddles. Always did. Decathlon knows this.
Arses by the way haven't changed massively the last century.
Just as nights haven't got darker.
I don't like Brookes by the way - all my saddles are finest plastic.

Top Bottom