Chopin's Nocturne op.27 nr.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, that Debussy is wonderful. Also, Clair de Lune will have me in tears most times. This animation is a really cool way to 'see' the melody, I only just came across it...

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
wafflycat said:

I prefer his Gnossienne No1

NB: I like the cut of Satie's jib: from Wiki:-

In 1879 Satie entered the Paris Conservatoire, where he was soon labelled untalented by his teachers. After being sent home for two and a half years, he was readmitted to the Conservatoire at the end of 1885, but was unable to make a much more favourable impression on his teachers than he had before, and, as a result, resolved to take up military service a year later. However, Satie's military career did not last very long; within a few weeks he left the army through deceptive means

wafflycat

Satie's house

ErikSatiehouseNovember2007001.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you want goosebumps read the tragic and poignant story of Cecil Coles, a budding young composer who was killed in the trenches. His bloodstained manuscript was saved and has just been recorded on CD as "Music From Behind the Lines". Read the story of his daughter and Gustav Holst for the full poignant effect. The music is lovely, buy it on CD.

gbb

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:

Oh gawld Waffly...
I cant play those at work, so cant remember which one that is.....but the very mention of Satie sends me shivery...one of his pieces, Nocturne summit or other sends me mental :biggrin:.
Trois gymnopedies as well......thats it...musics on tonight :tongue:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Kirsty has good taste, Ravels Piano concert for left hand is amazing..in fact Its difficult to list any of Ravels piano works because i want to include them all :tongue:
Le Tombeau de Couperin
Gaspard de la Nuit
and Jeux d’eau are 3 of the lesser known pieces

Debussy's Sarabande from pour le piano and Hommage à Rameau from Images are composistions from another spiral Galaxy...they are incredibly evocative/intense/complex...they could justify humanities existance! :biggrin:

Gary Askwith said:
Kirsty has good taste, Ravels Piano concert for left hand is amazing..in fact Its difficult to list any of Ravels piano works because i want to include them all :tongue:
Le Tombeau de Couperin
Gaspard de la Nuit
and Jeux d’eau are 3 of the lesser known pieces

Debussy's Sarabande from pour le piano and Hommage à Rameau from Images are composistions from another spiral Galaxy...they are incredibly evocative/intense/complex...they could justify humanities existance! :biggrin:

absolutely. le tombeau de couperin is practically impossible to play.
I learned a bit about Ravel's life a while back. He was an ambulance driver in the 1st world war, and had a bit of an oedipal complex, apparently...

Pete

Maz said:
Theme to The South Bank Show.

No idea who composed it.
Based on Caprice no. 24 by Paganini - which is also the subject of Rachmaninov's famous Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini. Strictly speaking a violin piece, though Rach's arrangement is piano and orchestra.

Favourite piano piece? Blimey, where do I start? The piano having been 'my' instrument all my life (though I'm a cr@p player - hammering the keys purely for amusement) ... I love listening to Rach-3 (Rachmaninov's concerto no. 3) though it's way WAY beyond my ability. But my mood changes all the time, so on another day it'll be something completely different...

At the moment I'm trying - trying - to come to terms with some of the notes in Chopin's Etude in C# minor - op.10 no.4. *Gulp*

Pete said:
Based on Caprice no. 24 by Paganini - which is also the subject of Rachmaninov's famous Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini.

Favourite piano piece? Blimey, where do I start? The piano having been 'my' instrument all my life (though I'm a cr@p player - hammering the keys purely for amusement) ... I love listening to Rach-3 (Rachmaninov's concerto no. 3) though it's way WAY beyond my ability. But my mood changes all the time, so on another day it'll be something completely different...

Oh yes now I remember - I was completely wrong before. It wasn't John williams and Friends it was an album by Andrew Lloyd Webber - was it called Variations?

Top Bottom