Chris Boardman has sold the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

“Without insurance, fuel and maintenance, I am already saving £800 a month.”
I don't spend that a year running my car

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't spend that a year running my car
How much do you spend, then? I think I spend £25/mo insurance, £60/mo fuel and £30/mo maintenance and that's a 9yo 3-door mostly parked off-road in a small Norfolk village. I expect a bigger family car in the Wirral might cost much more on all three.

midlife

Guru
Depends if you add in the cost of lease / HP / finance. The cost for my 2 cars is about £650 a month. Something expensive could easily be £700 a month.

D

Deleted member 26715

How much do you spend, then? I think I spend £25/mo insurance, £60/mo fuel and £30/mo maintenance and that's a 9yo 3-door mostly parked off-road in a small Norfolk village. I expect a bigger family car in the Wirral might cost much more on all three.
£15 insurance, £15 VED & about £10 fuel per month, £40 MOT a year, £50 a year service, £120 in 6 years on tyres, so work that out.

How do you manage to spend £30 a month on maintenance?

dodgy

Bloody hell folks. Of course some cars cost more or less to run than others. Chris is talking about *his* costs, not yours :laugh:

From memory, think he had a large Audi or Skoda at one time, not sure. His dad drives an old VW Golf.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I am guessing he has some flexibility travelling from Liverpool to Manchester and vice versa.
Commuting on that line is an awful experience. Forget about taking a full size bike any time between 7:30-10:00am, from any stations other than Liverpool. And from 3:45-6:30pm from Manchester don't even think about it, unless you catch the "stopper", which takes over an hour to travel 30 miles.
It is one of the lines which had the joy (not) of being within the Northern Fail franchise. So, IME trains rarely arrive on time, are frequently cancelled and are commonly packed.

dodgy

This part of NW England and Wirral in particular is terrible for trains. So if he can make it work, many (but not most) can make it work.
He lives in Heswall, his nearest train station is called Heswall, but really it's a few miles out. Beeching had a big impact here, but at least we got the Wirral (mud) Way out of it.

screenman

Legendary Member
£15 insurance, £15 VED & about £10 fuel per month, £40 MOT a year, £50 a year service, £120 in 6 years on tyres, so work that out.

How do you manage to spend £30 a month on maintenance?

£350+ for a full service without many extras is not unusual, I do 20,000 miles a year in my car, our second car does 10,000.

Drago

Legendary Member
Volvo XC90 2.4 D5 185 R Design SE:

Insurance - 205
Tax - 325
Fuel - 35 every 2nd month, so 210 a year
Do my own maintenance, so let's say 100 in parts, and that's generous, it's probably nearer 50 or 60 sheets.

Total = 835 a year.

OK, ever 3 or 4 years there'll be bigger ticket spends like tyres etc, but i own it outright so there are no repayments to make. I can genuinely say my running costs in the typical year are more or less what Boardman was somehow spending a month.

But nice to see him back riding on the road again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom