Chris Boardman's mum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I don't know about other states in the U.S., but Illinois takes a very dim view of hit-and-run, as we call it.
Hit and Run of an injured person is a Class 2 Felony which carries a possible sentence of up to 7 years in a state penitentiary and/or a fine of up to $25,000. If the accident causes the death of a person, Hit and Run becomes a Class 1 Felony which carries a possible sentence of up to 15 years in a state penitentiary and/or a fine of up to $25,000. And that doesn't even consider the civil judgement that would follow.

In Illinois, if you are driving in a car and are using your cell phone, that is a grounds for a traffic stop and a citation. If you are under 18, you may not use a cell phone at all whilst driving, excepting emergencies. Over 18, you may only use a hands free device while driving. $75.00, first offense, $100 second offense.

alicat

Legendary Member
Rosney has been very lucky. I hope he uses his time in prison to reflect on the harm he has done from using his mobile phone while driving.

C R

Guru
Her killer has been given a whole 30 weeks in jail, with an 18 month disqualification.
For killing someone while avoidably distracted that's pretty pathetic in my view.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47071273

And found not guilty of perverting the course of justice. Also, no mention of the policeman relative of his that tried to stall evidence gathering. Very lucky indeed.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
And found not guilty of perverting the course of justice. Also, no mention of the policeman relative of his that tried to stall evidence gathering. Very lucky indeed.

Aye, that was the killer's father. He interfered by trying to tell the investigating officers what to do.
The behaviour of the accused, his wife, and his father after the event was disgusting.

C R

Guru
Aye, that was the killer's father. He interfered by trying to tell the investigating officers what to do.
The behaviour of the accused, his wife, and his father after the event was disgusting.
Was there at least any disciplinary action against the father?

Should that affect his sentencing though?

Not sure I like the idea of having sentences increased due to the actions of others.

They should be charged if there’s enough evidence as a separate issue.

C R

Guru
Should that affect his sentencing though?

Not sure I like the idea of having sentences increased due to the actions of others.

They should be charged if there’s enough evidence as a separate issue.

I meant that he was very lucky to have been cleared of the perverting charge, which I guess would have carried a much stiffer penalty.

Considering the goings on reported, it is surprising that the perverting charge didn't stick, but, of course, we don't necessarily know the whole story.

Slick

Guru
The law needs to change, coming from someone who has had life changing injuries.
Probably not everyone would agree but i thought his comments about not wanting to see lots of people go to jail but the ability to hurt someone by careless taken away were interesting depending on exactly how he planned to make that happen.

Top Bottom