Chris Boardman's take on helmets

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by machew, 9 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent One of the 64K

As ever, he comes across as eminently sensible. I think an awful lot of us can put our hands up and say "I know in my heart of hearts that the helmet is pointless, but I wear it anyway".

gavintc, Lonestar and buggi like this.
  2. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

Oh this makes me sad. I went on a group ride last week where, once again, I got unsolicited comments about the fact that I wasn't wearing a helmet. One young woman actually listened to what I said in reply, rather than getting annoyed, and eventually said, 'Do you know, I'd never even considered that I could ride without a helmet. I just assumed it was what you did.' (It transpired that she was a scientist so used to evaluating evidence, hence the patient listening I think.)

It's becoming part of the uniform, which is not necessarily to cycling's advantage.

3. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

If only it were pointless, it would make the decision simple - at times it is pointless, at times it is even more dangerous, but at other times it is good to be wearing one.

david k and Lonestar like this.
  4. psmiffy

psmiffy -

I think that is insulting peoples intelligence - I think most people know that in a car versus cyclist incident then helmets are likely to be ineffective

david k and adscrim like this.
  5. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

I think it's part of the uniform in rural/small town club/group rides, but not in London.

6. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

I think you mean 'among London commuters'? As far as I can see it's part of the uniform for almost all club/group rides of any size, anywhere.

The latest edition of the Clarion CC magazine has a delightful photo of a club run in the 1970s or 80s, and not one rider is wearing anything on their head other than a cotton cap.

7. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

That's fair - although the number of club/group rides you see in central London is tiny compared with the number of people commuting.

8. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Are you new here?

;)

9. User1252

User1252 Guest

Too sad for a like

10. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Today I saw a poster for my local Breeze ride. It was a picture of five cyclists. It was remarkable for the absence of:
    • Men (I know, it's a Breeze ride)
    • Road bikes
    • Helmets
    Quite refreshing I thought, but a shame that it stood out to me for exactly those reasons.

growingvegetables likes this.
  11. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

I was negotiating a tight bend today a car was coming the other way the car behind decided he wasn't waiting till after the bend and squeezed past,I was lucky to stay upright, I shook my head in disgust at the bad manoeuvre, the guy stopped at a shop just round the corner, he asked me what my problem was, I said you nearly knocked me off you could have waited till after the bend with no approaching traffic, he said I wish I had of knocked you off, he was a bit of an arrogant twat, he got out of the car but I didn't flinch so I think he thought better of it, he said you should be wearing a helmet, I said what's that got to do with your bad driving, he said your supposed to wear a helmet when cycling aren't you I said no, at this point he went into the shop mumbling.

I set off a bit worried that he might be going my way and use his car as a weapon, he did pass me at an exaggerated speed but not close. what chance do we have with such arrogant motorist who think the road is just for them.

david k and Tin Pot like this.
  12. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Of course if you had a helmet...
    You could have mounted a helmet cam
    Then you could have videoed the muppet
    Then you could have put it on YouTube
    Then it could have gone viral and been in the national press showing the muppet to be .... a muppet

Tin Pot and Afnug like this.
  13. david k

david k Hi

Lots of horrible people, about mate, not sure we can really solve that problem, not easily. Glad this turned out ok for you, passed without a major incident, sadly that's not always the case eh?

In Holland at the moment I find the car driving much more casual, not heard a horn yet, no rushing, car drivers are much more nderstanding, and I'm driving also not cycling, we all now they are different when cycling.

Drivers thoughts and mindset on the road is deep seated, I don't think it will ever change or how it could, I'd like it to be like Holland but our rush rush, I own the road attitude will probably not change in my lifetime, it seems it's the English way?

Afnug likes this.
  14. Dan B

Dan B Señor Member

Look at some pictures of Holland in the 1970s - it changed there in someone's lifetime

15. w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent One of the 64K

It can change, it just needs the will of the people doing the educating and testing to change it. Look at the different attitudes towards drunk driving, or wearing a seatbelt. It's a tougher one because a lot of people don't seem to see the point in driving in a way that causes other road users less danger but I don't think it's fair to right it off 'cause we're just like that'.

psmiffy, snorri and david k like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice