Chris Froome to target 7 tour de france titles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm fairly certain that no African has ever won the tour, so I guess it'd be a shame for Africa if Froome wins it under the British flag.

GeofT

I defy anyone to watch these then say they're still not a fan of Froome:

Froome safely in yellow at the Dauphine, could have just rolled into the finish and won the race but instead he unleashes an amazing counter attack to show Contador who's the boss:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bswLMQtJjH8

Or maybe the best moment of last year's Tour, an exceptional display of strength after 5 hours of hard riding. Evans and Wiggins at their absolute limit, Froome attacks and goes for the stage win on the 22% gradient Les Planches des Belles Filles (33m onwards).

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcq-jDkhqU

Could easily go on, the man is exciting to watch and I can't wait for Contador and Froome to go head to head in the mountains - could easily be a classic TDF. They're both amazing fighters. The chat about whether he's British or not seems slightly strange to me. Of course, Wiggins is a great competitor but not as exciting to watch IMHO.

The Couch

Über Member
I was watching it on the sly at work, as I often do. Normally I can contain my excitement, but by the end of this one, I was jumping up and down, yelling Froome on, and sod what my boss thought.
If by now your boss hasn't yet noticed a dip in productivity when interesting stages/races are happening... I would start worrying

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Good piece by Richard Williams in the Grauniad today - turns out Froome is not the new Greg Rusedski after all, but the new Owen Hargreaves. I think it's a much better comparison...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/aug/09/chris-froome-tour-de-france-london

Shame he spoils it with the drivel about seeing "the maillot jaune" in last week's London race - which is drivel because a) he wouldn't have been in the maillot jaune, and b) it was a two-bit second division race that he wouldn't have had a hope of winning anyway.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Good piece by Richard Williams in the Grauniad today - turns out Froome is not the new Greg Rusedski after all, but the new Owen Hargreaves. I think it's a much better comparison...

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/aug/09/chris-froome-tour-de-france-london

Shame he spoils it with the drivel about seeing "the maillot jaune" in last week's London race - which is drivel because a) he wouldn't have been in the maillot jaune, and b) it was a two-bit second division race that he wouldn't have had a hope of winning anyway.
Agreed. Richard Williams is usually pretty good.
Froome could fire the gun at next years London Marathon or switch on the Xmas lights in Oxford Street!:smile:

oldroadman

Veteran
Those comments in the Guardian are mostly complete rubbish. Rules: YOu hold the licence from the country you have a passport for, or you can join the Federation of your country of residence. It will still have a GBR code on, though, if you are British by passport entitlement. Perhaps the Kenyans (renowned as a very upright and honest federation..) would not do that, who knows? Anyway he holds a British passport and that's what counts (look at Cricket and Rugby if you want to find "Brits" that only qualify by residence, or grandparents, or whatever is convenient at the time.
Criteriums do come under UCI via local federation regs, but are relaxed about jerseys simply for good commercial reasons, no-one is worried. The spectators pay to see riders wearing TdF jerseys and they oblige. Simple contractural matter.

PhunkyPhil

Regular
I think when somebody says they want to target the Tour de France or any other specific event they just mean that event is their primary goal for the season, it doesn't necesarily mean they think they will win but want to give themselves the best oportunity to perform well.

I'm sure cadel Evans targets the Tour de France but he can't surely think he is going to win it and there are plenty of other GC riders in smaller teams in the same boat. The teams need a dedicated GC rider so that they are there in the big mountains when all the TV cameras are looking at the contenders so the sponsors get good exposure.

I'm sure the number he choose is based on his age and how long he thinks he can be in top condition.

Its funny how Wiggins has decided he may never do a grand tour again as he knows he was very lucky and will never get near to winning any grand tour again regardless of what team he rides for.

Top Bottom