Christmas at Royal Mail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Its been manic this year. In the 29 years I’ve worked for them this has to be the busiest year so far.
I’m a lorry driver and have been on Christmas pressure since the last week in November. Working the maximum hours a lorry driver can work for the last 5 weeks, 13 hour shifts, 60-65 hours a week. I’m knackered! I feel like I could sleep till the New Year!
The amount of parcels and post that goes through the system each day amazes me even now after all these years and over 90% is delivered the next day. I’ve just popped home for breakfast before going back for my last 4 hours of overtime before finishing for Christmas and a well earned week off.
I’m not the biggest poster on here, some of you may know me some not but I just wanted to say Merry Christmas whatever your all doing

Jay

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thanks Jay. And festive wishes to you.

Any idea where my FSA headset plug is? Thanks.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@jayonabike
Would you do me a small favour please.
I need some bits & bobs from Aldi (and a few other places).
I do not want to go out in the pre christmas traffic......let alone queue up with 100s of last minute shoppers.
You, however, are allready out and a out ^_^.
If I send you a list and my address would you be so kind as to get them and drop them off here.
Ohh.....I forgot the "please" at the end.

Katherine

Guru
Its been manic this year. In the 29 years I’ve worked for them this has to be the busiest year so far.
I’m a lorry driver and have been on Christmas pressure since the last week in November. Working the maximum hours a lorry driver can work for the last 5 weeks, 13 hour shifts, 60-65 hours a week. I’m knackered! I feel like I could sleep till the New Year!
The amount of parcels and post that goes through the system each day amazes me even now after all these years and over 90% is delivered the next day. I’ve just popped home for breakfast before going back for my last 4 hours of overtime before finishing for Christmas and a well earned week off.
I’m not the biggest poster on here, some of you may know me some not but I just wanted to say Merry Christmas whatever your all doing

Jay
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
I think the Royal Mail and all delivery drivers are doing a great job.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The Royal Mail do an amazing job and it amazes me when people complain about the cost of posting a letter. My response to them is along the lines of, if you can get your card to its destination cheaper then take it yourself.

I just like licking stamps.

I know most of the RM men and women from the local sorting office (gardener/postie symbiotic relationship) who go out on delivery and they are all lovely folk.

Not long after I started at the Hospital. I sometimes helped out in the Post-Room (we changed to a PFI building, with own staff in 2010)
2 Royal Mail deliveries a day (we tried to get staff to come & collect their registered mail, to save having to chase them down)
2 collections from almost every Secretary/department in the place (letters/notes/x-ray packets/parcels)
Internals mail arriving via Hospital transport, from outlying buildings/clinics/doctors surgeries

Staff walking in, to ask where a letter was; rooting through what had been sorted/spilling it everywhere, then taking the huff, at being polite (or even impolitely) told to. eg; "Sod Off!, I don't walk into your operating theatre, for a rummage inside your patient"
The most electronic aid to sorting we had was a radio, to listen to
The regular posties, knew most secretaries/Consultants/receptionists names, so not many got lost

This time of year was even harder, due to the cards being sent between staff/departments
It got to the point, where obvious cards just went into one of those big green NHS Supplies boxes, & they could come & have a lucky dip^_^

Some tried to disguise in A4 internal envelopes, but as nothing could be sealed (multi-use envelopes), they also went in there, as an extra (for sake of argument) 500 items a day was too much

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

A bit of a long shot,but i don't suppose the cap and scarf i ordered about 14 days ago were on your lorry? They haven't turned up yet!:unsure:

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Jay

Merry Xmas to you too - have a good rest; sounds like you deserve it.

PS: any chance you can put a word in to stop my junk mail deliveries?

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike