Christmas at Royal Mail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I drove past the local Aldi on the way back to the depot at 8 this morning and there was already 10-15 cars queuing out on the road waiting to get into the already full car park.
My last run was to Amazon this afternoon around 12 and it’s off a dual carriageway opposite a large Tesco’s. About a quarter of a mile before the entrance to Tesco the inside lane was solid with cars waiting to get in. Sod that
Is that a nice way of saying you wont be doing my shopping :blush:

postman

Legendary Member
As a retired Postman /Postman Higher Grade and Acting Ped.I thank you all.In my day we had two deliveries each day except Sunday,numerous collections from pillar boxes and Christmas pressure ensured we did two Sunday deliveries up to Xmas.I always fell asleep after Xmas dinner.We were knackered and if your duty was nights after Xmas day you started all over again at 22-00 nBoxing Day night when the rest of the World was still out on the lash,except other services Nhs,Police Taxi drivers etc.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hi @jayonabike

Any chance you can get my local delivery office to deliver my mail and mine only. I periodically get mail for a street with a name that is the same except ours is x y Way and the other one is x y Mews. Both streets have existed for more than 50 years so I'm not sure why it is so hard.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi @jayonabike

Any chance you can get my local delivery office to deliver my mail and mine only. I periodically get mail for a street with a name that is the same except ours is x y Way and the other one is x y Mews. Both streets have existed for more than 50 years so I'm not sure why it is so hard.
That's nowt!

Only three streets with the same name in the UK, and I still get letters for elsewhere. Council only sticking the street name in place 50 years after it was built can't have helped.

Another nearby street with three names and postcodes. All three postcodes active, but only one name(the newest), is recognised.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
One of my Poweramps is poorly and has gone back to the factory service dept. to be fixed, we checked they'd received it and how long until it was returned to be told it won't be ready until after Crimble. I'm actually quite glad it won't be 'in transit' during the festive period.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Happy Christmas @jayonabike

Can you have a little word with our postie and tell them not to throw the elastic bands on the floor all over the place. They may biodegrade, but that’s not the point.

Thanks!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The best thing about being a postie at Xmas was the overtime. Instead of knocking off at 12 and heading to the pub we were sorting until 8 or 9 at night on time and a half for about two weeks.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Its been manic this year. In the 29 years I’ve worked for them this has to be the busiest year so far.
I’m a lorry driver and have been on Christmas pressure since the last week in November. Working the maximum hours a lorry driver can work for the last 5 weeks, 13 hour shifts, 60-65 hours a week. I’m knackered! I feel like I could sleep till the New Year!
The amount of parcels and post that goes through the system each day amazes me even now after all these years and over 90% is delivered the next day. I’ve just popped home for breakfast before going back for my last 4 hours of overtime before finishing for Christmas and a well earned week off.
I’m not the biggest poster on here, some of you may know me some not but I just wanted to say Merry Christmas whatever your all doing

Jay
Know how you feel Jay on my last 2am wake up tonight, our office is clear thanks to working with some great guys putting in the extra hours.
Merry Christmas Jay and all in Cycle Chat land

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Many years ago as a student I worked as a temp. at Christmas. Great little earner. We had a local hall as a temporary sorting office which was jammed full. It was an interesting time as I learned a lot about our local town and it’s inhabitants.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a frequent online shopper I have a few issues with all deliverers.

Couriers that promise delivery today, show it's out for delivery,then don't arrive. Those that obviously played their lunch break footie match with my parcel. Those that seems to take forever to deliver. And finally there's Royal Mail. They too can have problems, several items disappear each year, without trace. Several arrive in poor condition and sometimes they drop a card saying I wasn't in, when I was. Then there's the joy of collecting the parcel. My local office, 5 miles away, is open for my inconvenience between 7am and noon, except for Saturday when it closes at 10am.

All the delivery firms operating in the UK have been to my door this year, 95% of my stuff arrives without any issues, but of the other 5% most problematic, by %age of actual deliveries by each firm is Yodel, followed closely, I'm afraid, by Royal Mail.

I better be careful what I say about them, they might find out where I live!

Top Bottom