Christmas at Royal Mail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Know how you feel Jay on my last 2am wake up tonight, our office is clear thanks to working with some great guys putting in the extra hours.
Merry Christmas Jay and all in Cycle Chat land
Yes Merry Christmas Dave, hope to see you for a ride or 2 next year

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Happy Christmas to you and yours @jayonabike .
Hope to see you more in 2019 for bike rides.
Merry Christmas Ian. Yes a few rides are on the cards.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You didn’t need to open the mail. For example letters for navy wives could have KOR on the back of the envelope. This was a sure sign a submarine was due back any day soon. So much for National security. You can work out KOR for yourself!

Milzy

Guru
I may have to stop online shopping for next year.
I’ve had shops double charging my card & parcels just not turning up. Maybe online shopping is becoming more stressful than going into the high street.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Merry Christmas to all posties! I always make a bit of an allowance around Christmas time if an item I've bought is a day or two late. The Post Office must be under incredible pressure. My postman is a cheery Indian guy who always has a smile on his face, no matter how awful the weather might be... and when he's on holiday the guys that cover for him are usually very good too.

Interesting fact(s): I collect Victorian postage stamps and I have seen an envelope postmarked 25th December! I have also seen envelopes addressed to a person with just 'London' as the address. In the 1850s I suppose all important persons' addresses would be known by the GPO.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Merry Christmas to all posties! I always make a bit of an allowance around Christmas time if an item I've bought is a day or two late. The Post Office must be under incredible pressure. My postman is a cheery Indian guy who always has a smile on his face, no matter how awful the weather might be... and when he's on holiday the guys that cover for him are usually very good too.

Interesting fact(s): I collect Victorian postage stamps and I have seen an envelope postmarked 25th December! I have also seen envelopes addressed to a person with just 'London' as the address. In the 1850s I suppose all important persons' addresses would be known by the GPO.

One of the things posties take pride in is knowing their route and the people on it. I recall figuring out the correct address from an envelope addressed to someone using their maiden name and the cryptic clue "the house 6 doors down from the oak tree near the school".

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well done Jay. I used to be a postie with the Royal Engineers based at the depot in Mill Hill and know how crazy it can get at Christmas.

A big thanks to you and your collegues. You do an invaluable job.

Ivo

Its been manic this year. In the 29 years I’ve worked for them this has to be the busiest year so far.
I’m a lorry driver and have been on Christmas pressure since the last week in November. Working the maximum hours a lorry driver can work for the last 5 weeks, 13 hour shifts, 60-65 hours a week. I’m knackered! I feel like I could sleep till the New Year!
The amount of parcels and post that goes through the system each day amazes me even now after all these years and over 90% is delivered the next day. I’ve just popped home for breakfast before going back for my last 4 hours of overtime before finishing for Christmas and a well earned week off.
I’m not the biggest poster on here, some of you may know me some not but I just wanted to say Merry Christmas whatever your all doing

Jay

Yes indeed. I was a postman for 20 years, albeith for the Dutch mail. I've slept through most of my christmases. Only after switching to another job 5 years ago I could actually do something with christmas, apart from catching up on lost sleep.

Top Bottom