Christmas day rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There's a possibility I may sneak out for an hour in the afternoon between delivering pressies to family late morning, and tea in the afternoon (Christmas dinner is on Boxing Day, as usual here!)

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
As I set myself a little target of some kind of ride of over a mile every day this year, I intend to roll out for a short reflect-on-loved-ones-passed-this-year to a seat in Foxhall before I go back and get engrossed in cooking dinner. I may just take a little flask of something ...

mustang1

Guru
I'm actually still harbouring faint hopes of doing it, given that Santa is bringing me a set of front Ortlieb panniers to match the rear ones I already have, so that's the carrying capacity sorted. The wind should be mostly in my favour as they live north of me. I'll do a weather check on it early doors, but I'm not building up my hopes.

Edit.... Not to mention the 50+ mph gusts forecast for the return on boxing day, and they WON'T be in the favourable direction. At least Scotrail is an option on boxing day.
There are two groups of people who should be familiar with the wind, but not worry about it: pilots and cyclists.

dim

I joined the Rapha Festive 500 Challenge on Strava (you have to cycle 500km over 8 days and it started today)

I managed to cycle 100km today .... wind was brutal (31km/hr WSW) and the same is predicted for tomorrow

I'm planning on cycling a 60km route tomorrow but I'm not sure if I will as I am cooking half of the Christmas dinner.

If I miss a day, it becomes a lot harder to catch up

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are two groups of people who should be familiar with the wind, but not worry about it: pilots and cyclists.
I think you are wrong on both counts there!

I watched a programme about bad weather conditions recently and scenes showing planes coming in to land in strong gusting were terrifying. One second the wings were parallel to the runway, the next they were at 45 degrees to it!

I have been out on my bike and been blown clean across the road by gusting sidewinds. I have also had a wheelie bin cartwheel across the road directly in front of me. Another time I encountered a headwind so strong that I couldn't move forwards even standing up and using a 39/29 gear - I got blown backwards off my bike and the bike took off and headed towards a gorge at the side of the road.

Avoid strong winds! :okay:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less

My late father-in-law once did a number of circuits (take-off and landing) by the simple process of taking off in a strong wind/gale, reducing the throttle, allowing the aeroplane to be blown back the length of the aerodrome, throttling up and touch-landing before doing another. (I'm currently reading his wartime diaries, fascinating stuff!)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've no plans to go out tomorrow, like Cosmic bike my place is also in front of the stove for much of the day, or assembling stuff etc.
I'm planning to go out for a boxing day ride with my wife though as Granny will babysit for us for a few hours. We'll try to do maybe 20 miles out into the countryside around Ashwell with at least one nice pub stop on the way.

Slick

Guru
As I set myself a little target of some kind of ride of over a mile every day this year, I intend to roll out for a short reflect-on-loved-ones-passed-this-year to a seat in Foxhall before I go back and get engrossed in cooking dinner. I may just take a little flask of something ...
You know, a flask of something to a local beauty spot reflecting on those no longer here sounds like a good idea to me. Cheers

dim

I think you are wrong on both counts there!

I watched a programme about bad weather conditions recently and scenes showing planes coming in to land in strong gusting were terrifying. One second the wings were parallel to the runway, the next they were at 45 degrees to it!

I have been out on my bike and been blown clean across the road by gusting sidewinds. I have also had a wheelie bin cartwheel across the road directly in front of me. Another time I encountered a headwind so strong that I couldn't move forwards even standing up and using a 39/29 gear - I got blown backwards off my bike and the bike took off and headed towards a gorge at the side of the road.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Hope to get out for an hour or two in the morning before heading round to Mum's for dinner. I'll wait until I've checked the wing direction and strength before I decide on the route.

Top Bottom