Christmas Hols

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Working in the food industry time off at Xmas is difficult
Working in the care home industry, taking holidays over the festive period is very much discouraged, if not impossible. Therefore I will be working my normal shift pattern, interrupted by the public holidays to which we (non essential staff) are entitled - Christmas day and New Years day. All of which suits me fine, being as I am a Scrooge type at Christmas. Over hyped nonsense; I'd rather take my holidays during the rest of the year to suit myself.

Just me, mum and the two cats - nice and quiet like. Although I'll be doing all the traditional pre and post Christmas yellow stickering. How could I not? :laugh:

Always fish for us on Christmas eve. When dad was alive it had to be a proper Polish "Wigilia", but as far as I'm concerned, any nice fish and / or seafood will do. If I'm not feeling knackered, I'll go to the midnight service in St Martin's, a couple of villages along, or to Ely Cathedral.

Christmas day... A friend always drops by in the morning for our traditional cup of tea, plate of Lebkuchen / Stollen. As for dinner - well, I have enough choice in the freezer if I can't find anything on YS that tickles my fancy. :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just me, mum and the two cats - nice and quiet like. Although I'll be doing all the traditional pre and post Christmas yellow stickering. How could I not? :laugh:

Always fish for us on Christmas eve. When dad was alive it had to be a proper Polish "Wigilia", but as far as I'm concerned, any nice fish and / or seafood will do. If I'm not feeling knackered, I'll go to the midnight service in St Martin's, a couple of villages along, or to Ely Cathedral.

Christmas day... A friend always drops by in the morning for our traditional cup of tea, plate of Lebkuchen / Stollen. As for dinner - well, I have enough choice in the freezer if I can't find anything on YS that tickles my fancy. :laugh:
You really know how to live it up ^_^
Apart from the cup of tea I am with you (cant you sub it for a large whisky:rolleyes:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Home on Christmas Day with Mrs B and child 2. Probably my sister's on Boxing Day and see her and our Mum. Then a second Christmas Day on the 27th (or maybe the 28th (Mrs B will know for sure)), when we see our grandchild, child 1 and son in law, who are with the in laws this year.:angry:

tyred

Legendary Member
I am not a fan of the festive period really. I will go home to my family but I don't have a particularly good relationship with my family, my brother especially. The only other alternative is to sit here on my own, not that it would bother me too much but my Dad hasn't been the best of health in recent years there is always a worry it will be his last so I feel obliged to go.

Still, it is a rural area and some great cycle routes to do and that is where my cycle collection is stored so I can ride something different. My Mum asked me to deliver a few things last year to relatives so I used my Royal Mail Pashley. The perfect bike for the job.

My company will close on the 25th and 26th and we have a raffle at work to prevent rows about who has the other days off over the Christmas and New Year period. I always ask to be removed from the raffle as I prefer to use my days off at a better time of the year when I can do something interesting.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Invited to stay over with family and go out for dinner somewhere. Used to quite enjoy the large family gathering for the meal but having developed ( whinge warning) digestive troubles it is difficult to find food on the menu which I can safely eat without dreadful after effects. No booze either but have to admit it is probably all my own fault due to overindulgence in falling over juice in the past.

stephec

Legendary Member
Beer and curry party on the 23rd as usual. Been doing this since the kids were choristers - it’s for all musicians thoroughly sick of playing/singing Christmas carols. The choristers are all now huge and drink all the beer!
Then down to a holiday flat in Tunbridge Wells for a few days as son no 1 is in panto in Sevenoaks again and only gets Christmas Day off.
Oh no he doesn't!

stephec

Legendary Member
Working in the food industry time off at Xmas is difficult, so it'll probably be 2 days off, may be able to squeeze in another one or two if we're covered.
Always a family day, I think there going to be 20 plus for dinner this year, gawld knows how we're going to fit them In.
DIL mentioned it the other day..
'I always like coming to yours, it's such a nice day, you all have such a good time....my family just fight, even on Xmas day'
Do you work at an M+S producing site?

I know some places are starting up on boxing day morning to knock out ready meals.

Top Bottom