FNRttC Christmas Night Ride - A Christmas Carol Saturday 17th December 2016

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by AKA Bob, 18 Nov 2016.

1. AKA Bob

AKA Bob Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...

The festive season is upon us and so we can celebrate the joys of friendship and night rides We cordially invite you to a night time adventure of discovery and lights.

A Christmas Carol was Charles Dickens story about the virtues and values of the season. Have you ever wondered what influenced the man while creating the story. Now is your chance to visit some of the places which Dickens would of known in Victorian London.

As it's Christmas it just wouldn't be right not to visit some of the light displays while we are at it.

Though the ride will start as normal at Hyde Park Corner you need to be careful not to arrive 24hrs early as this ride is taking place on the Saturday night. After the usual administration we will initially be heading towards South London before heading east through The City and on to East London before returning and heading into the wilder parts of the London Borough of Camden and then finally back to the Victoria area for the traditional breakfast. I aim to arrive around 7am.

This ride is very much geared to be a fun Christmas adventure but also serve as a taster of the magic of night rides for friends and family with the view that people can peel off and head home if it's too much. The ride should be between 40- 50 miles in length but our progress will be slow due to the frequent stop nature of the ride and just navigating the streets of London. So I would recommend preparing for a cold night by bringing lots of layers.

If your interested in joining us please use the link below to register your interest. Remember to share and tell interested friends and family.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...xaJfJir2Aaapq-3wkV1HPL7Y8OiA/viewform?c=0&w=1

Hope see you on the 17th and if not can I wish you all the greetings of the season.

Titus

Ride Leader

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Nov 2016
    ianmac62, Dogtrousers, StuAff and 5 others like this.
  2. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

Looks great but what is the rationale behind requiring CTC membership? It is going to cost me £43 to join

Thanks for organising!

Blue Hills likes this.
  3. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

I could be very tempted by this.

Fab Foodie likes this.
  4. "Could be"? Why the hesitation?

Fab Foodie, Flying Dodo and Hill Wimp like this.
  5. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.

Going out at night ????

Plus I spend all bloody week in that city. However for you lot I could be persuaded.:biggrin:

User482, Fab Foodie, StuAff and 4 others like this.
  6. hatler

hatler Guru

Somewhere there's a whole thread on this subject.

Bottom line, the rides can't be run without insurance cover for the ride leader. The route of least resistance on this front is for individuals to have CTC cover, either direct with the CTC or through an affiliate club, of which The Fridays is one. It's cheaper going the affiliate route.

mmmmartin likes this.
  7. Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo It'll soon be summer

It's only £24, as an affiliate. But if you're already with BC or LCC then you can come along on this ride before committing to paying the £24 if you wanted to go on future rides next year.

mmmmartin and jay clock like this.
  8. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

Thanks for the replies. I am not hugely fast - what sort of average pace does the group go at

9. OP
    OP
    AKA Bob

AKA Bob Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...

It doesn't matter now fast you travel no one gets left behind on a Fridays ride. Though I would be surprised if we manage an average speed more than 8 mph....

ianmac62 and mmmmartin like this.
  10. mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

• form duly filled in.
    • my privileged position as chief steward gives me knowledge of where we're going.
    • i'm saying nothing.
    • but you'll like this.
    • a lot.

11. User10571

User10571 Guest

Oi!
    Less of the 'that' city.
    It's the best city in the world. ;)

rb58, StuAff, mmmmartin and 3 others like this.
  12. +1! Quite excited to be moving back soon. :okay:

mmmmartin likes this.
  13. User10571

User10571 Guest

Papers? [/Derren Nesbitt];)

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Nov 2016
    velovoice and mmmmartin like this.
  14. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

Fridays (Charles Dickens Birthplace Section) registered.

Half-way stop: 24hr Tescos or bagels in Brick Lane?

15. Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

I'm in. Now, which bike?

AKA Bob likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice