City riding: folder Vs cheaper full size bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
But isnt this a bit like the mini and the VW Beetle. Very desireable and iconic. But in reality, pretty crap for purpose.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I suppose it depends what you want from the bike. I have a Brompton, bought for no reaosn other than I fancied one and it was cheap enough to warrant buying. It's come in handy for things like dropping the car in for a service, popping into Waitrose (where they do let you push it around in a trolley), getting the train home without having to worry about booking it and so forth.
I'd not take it down the pub though, or similar. Too much hassle.....

12boy

Guru
One of the things I like about the Brompton is the relatively long wheelbase, actually longer than the Surly and probably the Holdsworth. I recall it to be 1045 mm whereas the Surly is 947. The minivelo is even shorter, and coupled with the small wheels is pretty twitchy. You get used to it, and it has some nice features such as 2 chain rings and a rear derailleur, drop bars and a stem with a faceplate, and since it doesn't fold it is very rigid. Still it cost 300 US and I really bought as a toy or something for short legged guests to borrow. Mine only has 1 chaining, the 52, but the sprockets go from 11 teeth to 32 so it will climb ok. In terms of quality, fun-to-rideity, if thats a word it doesnt compare to the Brompton.

Julia9054

Guru
Has anyone tried the slightly bigger rolling wheels that you can fit to the Brompton that makes it easier to push when folded?
I have only taken mine on the train once and getting it from one side of Leeds station to the other was difficult. It's heavy - i ended up with my leg covered in bruises from banging it against myself and couldn't seem to get the hang of rolling it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Has anyone tried the slightly bigger rolling wheels that you can fit to the Brompton that makes it easier to push when folded?
I have only taken mine on the train once and getting it from one side of Leeds station to the other was difficult. It's heavy - i ended up with my leg covered in bruises from banging it against myself and couldn't seem to get the hang of rolling it.

@Fab Foodie has

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Actually, I fitted the rack instead. They really don’t roll well without. Fine for shoving it about, but that’s all. The wheeks on the rack make it more stable and keps everything (just) off the ground. With the handlebars unfolded it pushes and pulls around quite well.
There are various mods available to improve the rolling if the L versions of various inginuity, but adding the rack seemed a more useful and utilitarian route forward, weight being a small downside.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

A Brommie owner in my local bike shop had bigger wheels and he reckoned they did the job.

His had an extendable axle to widen the track which makes the bike less likely to topple sideways.

Some people put roller blade wheels on, I don't think they are any larger but do roll better because they have proper bearings.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A Brommie owner in my local bike shop had bigger wheels and he reckoned they did the job.

His had an extendable axle to widen the track which makes the bike less likely to topple sideways.

Some people put roller blade wheels on, I don't think they are any larger but do roll better because they have proper bearings.
People widen the track on the mudguard mount to put a larger diameter wheel either side of the mudguard.

Top Bottom