Classic blue Peter Raleigh chopper.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Those knockers you're on about, they were called Clackers round our way. Our school banned them, which is quite surprising for those non H&S 70's times.
You are right, they were called Clackers but I think we nick named them knockers !

DRM

Guru
Had one for years, never had an issue, used to go everywhere on it, scramble through woods, handlebars were great for hanging paper round sack on.
Me too, it really took a hammering, I think mine was either a 1970 or '71, mum & dad said I could have one for xmas if I learned to ride the old thing I had with no stabilisers, imagine how gutted they must have been to see me flying up & down the back yard shouting look at me can I have a chopper now, an hour later!

I think they banned the plastic balls on a string thing when kids started breaking their wrists with them. We had some but I could never get the hang of it. There was a set hanging off the phone wires by the shops on our council estate for years in the '70's lol.
I remember those clackers too, damn hard to do properly as I remember.

We were way too poor to get a Chopper by the way. They were the preserve of the elite in 1970's Leeds.
I wouldn't say I was the elite back then, or now even come to think of it.

A good bit of advertising for Raleigh at the time. I was 13 then and a friend of mine got one for a birthday present. I had a few goes on it and they were truly horrible things to ride.
A friend had one.

It was, er, interesting.
It may have looked kind of cool.
He didn't look that cool riding it as I remember - sort of waddled from side to side on that bonkers seat.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I had a commando, my cousin had a chopper. At some point he extended the forks, by welding in some tubing and moved the bottom forwards and created a huge chopper, which was even worse to ride. So he rode it up and down the sea front until.someoen bought it off him!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Nonsense man! they were brilliant! I had a mark 1, yellow with adjustable handle bars, loved that bike
They seem to be a bit of a Marmite bike. You either love them or loath them. I fall into the latter camp. uncomfortable to ride and felt eally unstable. Hey ho, fashions come and go, but the standard bike shape prevails.

Loved my bright yellow Raleigh Chopper.
Swapped it for a Coventry Eagle racing bike.
Wish I hadn't.
show us a pic?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My brother has one at the moment, gawd knows why, he never had one as a kid. I sat on it a few months ago and realised that even though I wanted one at the time I’m pleased I didn’t get one.

Top Bottom