Classic examples of Irony

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A neighbour who campaigned for months for a speed trap to be set up in the village and when eventually the Police did one, he was among the first to be caught speeding ^_^.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My uncle - who gave up drinking after the doctor told him it would kill him, only to be run over by a brewery lorry

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
[QUOTE 5004369, member: 9609"]I never really get what the diff is between Irony and hypocritical?[/QUOTE]

That's easy - one's a noun and the other's an adjective :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
[QUOTE 5004369, member: 9609"]I never really get what the diff is between Irony and hypocritical?

for instance; people who go on and on about the enviroment and the importance of having a low carbon foot print lifestyle then in their next breath tell us all what far away destination they have just been to on holiday.

is that more hypocritical because its not funny. ?[/QUOTE]
<dissecting kittens>Irony is a rhetorical device, the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect. Hypocrisy is the contrivance of a false appearance of virtue or goodness, whilst concealing real character or inclinations, especially with respect to religious and moral beliefs. </dissecting kittens>

Top Bottom