Classic Trucks, Wagons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ford D-Series
Wheldon Road
Castleford
The cab looks to be quite reasonable condition, given that the last of the model was built in 1981, & replaced by the Cargo

DSCF6531.JPG

D

Deleted member 26715

Ford D-Series
Wheldon Road
Castleford
The cab looks to be quite reasonable condition, given that the last of the model was built in 1981, & replaced by the Cargo

View attachment 575040
Used to have a 1977 D type as a horsebox from about 1996 until about 2002, bought it from York for £500, drove it back home with a faulty alternator that wasn't charging the batteries, as we got close to home I had to put the lights on, by the time we got back the headlights were like candles. I had to weld up the steps on that one, so it this one is solid it's done very well.

gbb

Legendary Member
JCB must have taken a hammering from tracked diggers (whatever the term is for them )
I remember digging footings with a shovel in 1976, there be a team of us.
JCBs abounded, youd see them trundling from site to site and see them on every site. They're a rare site nowadays, even modern ones, it seems they all use tracked diggers nowadays.

JCB must have taken a hammering from tracked diggers (whatever the term is for them )
I remember digging footings with a shovel in 1976, there be a team of us.
JCBs abounded, youd see them trundling from site to site and see them on every site. They're a rare site nowadays, even modern ones, it seems they all use tracked diggers nowadays.

I take you mean the 'mini-diggers' as used by the utilities?
The logical reason for those must be (aside from cost)
- small size (restricted site access; between buildings maybe?
- trailer-able - can be towed by suitable van/pick-up
- towing vehicle can also carry staff/tools/supp;ies/speed of deployment due to size

They're still one of the biggest British (& British owned) companies out there

They offer electric powered equipment, & are (I believe) experimenting with fuel cells

https://www.jcb.com/en-gb#

They have their own technical college that feeds into the engineering industries :notworthy::notworthy:
https://jcb-academy.com/

@DRM

For use in logging, or extremely soft soils
Perhaps even on an experimental site, like the 'HoverRover' of the early 60s?

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/hover-rover

Drago

Legendary Member
I had to chuckle at a story on thr BBC news website yesterday. Theyre forecasting that the petrol station will become extinct and hasten the demise of the ICE car.

Quite where the BBC think large vans and lorries will be getting their fuel is anyones guess, but im pretty sure itll be...petrol stations! Theyll be with us for decades yet and will never be entirely extinct as long as old tin is being loved and cherished.

Cavalol

Guru
I think because petrol/diesel vehicles are (allegedly) not going to be made in ten years time, some people assume that filling stations will stop over night.

Drago

Legendary Member
Certanly the chumps at the British Bleating Communists seem to think so. They forget that battery technology doesn't scale well and big diesel tractor units will be with us for many decades yet, and where they get their fuel will also be a place the public can get theirs should they so wish.

Top Bottom