Claud Butler Alto CX9 - what size is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
There is a CB Alto CX9 I'm thinking of purchasing. It's not been used much and is going for £300. The problem is the seller cannot confirm the size. I've pointed him to where the size sticker would be but he says there isn't one.
Please take a look at the below link. Can anyone advise if it is a 21 or 23 inch frame. The owner is 6 foot. I'm taller. I cannot try it out before-hand as I'll need it posting.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/claude-butler-cx9-men-s-bike-/1396593406

Do you feel £300 for this bike, in hardly used condition, is a good price? There is no damage/wear to any components.
I'm interested in this bike as I would like a bike with drops and cross levers. I'd only be doing 15-20 road rides but as I'm very heavy, I would like a sturdy bike and I feel a CX bike is that bike more so than a road bike or normal hybrid.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks okay, seems reasonable. Check it over very carefully and any minus points use as a negotionating chip.
Bikes in good working order are sought after so get down there quick. :smile:

Reactions: dac

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Makes me laugh when sellers can't spell Claud right, even when its written on the bike! This seller is by no means the first...

Looks a nice bike though. If it fits him and he's 6ft, it should be ok for you I think. The seat stem has plenty of room for raising if needs be and so does the handlebar stem. Maybe he has very short legs for his height though! lol

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I would guess it’s a 54cm frame so might be a bit small for you. Below is a pic of the gumtree add together with a pic of the bike that Road CC reviewed which was a 54cm, they look an identical frame size.
@dac how tall are you?
https://road.cc/content/review/142195-claud-butler-alto-cx9-cyclocross-bike

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dac

I'm 6 foot 3 inches (I've shrank to that) and just over 17 stone. I'm in proportion with my legs and back - I think 34/35 inside leg.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Will the seller send it then ?
Ask him to measure the headstock and then ask him to measure from the floor to top side of cross bar at mid way point along then the same for bars and saddle then you should be able to see if ok size wise and also get him to measure along the cross bar .
If he refuses walk away

OP
OP
D

dac

It looks like a 21 inch frame to me, being 54cm, so I do think it's too small for me. I would the 23 inch model.
I guess the hunt goes on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A friend of mine bought one of those 2nd hand a couple of years ago, barely used but stood under a taup for a couple of years. I was handed the task of getting it road ready for a coast to coast outing, which was just a new chain, a few cosmetic bolt replacements and a tune up of the brakes, which we found pretty effective vickster for cable discs, albeit Spyres will have a bit more feel to them. They are a decent bike for the money

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought they were poor and needed constant adjustment. Not what I want from a pair of disc brakes. Ymmv
The Spyres were well worth the £100 or so they cost me to buy and have fitted :okay:

OP
OP
D

dac

So the seller has just reduced the price to £250. It is the bike I would like but it's the 21 inch version. Ideally, I need the 23 inch version.
Is there anything I can do to the bike to make it feel/ride like a 23 frame? Or would it just not feel right whatever?
I sat on a 23 inch frame, on the CX11 version, a few years back and it felt nice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Layback seat-post, maybe a longer seatpost,, longer stem, you may need wider bars... it’ll always feel cramped most likely and toe overlap could be an issue especially with mudguards...
or it may be fine for you.

buy it, try it, sell it if no good :okay:

OP
OP
D

dac

... actually, I know a Giant Defy 5 in XL is the right size for me. Don't suppose anyone knows if this 21 inch CB Alto CX9 has the same dimensions as a Giant Defy XL?
Here's hoping so... 🤞

vickster

Legendary Member
... actually, I know a Giant Defy 5 in XL is the right size for me. Don't suppose anyone knows if this 21 inch CB Alto CX9 has the same dimensions as a Giant Defy XL?
Here's hoping so... 🤞
Look up the geometries on Google / geometry geeks and compare for yourself.

Id say an XL Defy is much larger than a 54 (more like an M or ML Defy)

Top Bottom