Clayton Vale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rode Clayton Vale trails yesterday as a guy from another forum wanted to test ride a Cotic. It's great!!!! The blue is pretty good for a blue route, with some good singletrack with plenty of berms. The red is tetchy in places, with an emphasis on berms and whoops, so in places it's all a bit too easy to get carried away with your speed. The red loops are all optional, and there are two or three that have some interesting features, with some steep sided berms and consecutive, almost continuous switchbacks which keep you on your toes, plus two sections with stone steps/ drop-offs and rock gardens that take a good bit of skill to ride.

There's also the pump track and skills section next to the velodrome, which has some great features, including a rock garden which has a line that you shouldn't take.....and I can confirm it is possible to jam your front wheel solid against a rock, find you can't unclip the borrowed right pedal, and then get your other leg between the front wheel and the now vertical frame before doing, effectively a forward roll whilst entangled in the bike. So, helmet scuffed and knee pad tested, you look up to see a small child, open mouthed at your antics, and that sense of relief that your own son and fellow riders missed it all. Phew!

cubby

Über Member
Sounds like a great place to go and have a blast ..... How long are the trails ? Is it a multi lap kind of place or is it long enough to just do the red route ... ?

May try and get across this week some time :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Rode Clayton Vale trails yesterday as a guy from another forum wanted to test ride a Cotic. It's great!!!! The blue is pretty good for a blue route, with some good singletrack with plenty of berms. The red is tetchy in places, with an emphasis on berms and whoops, so in places it's all a bit too easy to get carried away with your speed. The red loops are all optional, and there are two or three that have some interesting features, with some steep sided berms and consecutive, almost continuous switchbacks which keep you on your toes, plus two sections with stone steps/ drop-offs and rock gardens that take a good bit of skill to ride.
Visited today myself and have to agree, it's really quite good and would appear that the Elf'n'safety contingent have been kept at bay. 7yr old son loved the black run with all the steps/drop-offs although he isn't jumping off them just yet. The orange trail has fantastic tight switchbacks on a steep hillside and as you say, it would be ludicrously easy to overcook it here and be spat out into mid air at a fair old height and speed!!!!

We will be back soon, it's right on our doorstep ^_^

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
We rode it twice, with breaks and a double helping of the Orange, missed one bit and found it second time round in an hour and a half. Multi laps and variety by doing different loops off.

Sounds like a great place to go and have a blast ..... How long are the trails ? Is it a multi lap kind of place or is it long enough to just do the red route ... ?

May try and get across this week some time :smile:

cubby

Über Member
Cheers Cubist ..... Going over tomorrow to give it a blast :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
Had a play on sunday. Not bad at all.

Not without teething troubles from the tales we were told by some non cycling users of the area; but not much ever gets built anywhere to the approval of everyone does it?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Going next Thursday, what ever the weather. High School on strike, so me and my man are off for a blast. Just seen the pics of the trail on the site. Looks great.

Never done a real trail, only ever done real off road stuff in bits, like round here, big rocks etc that bikes aren't for. This looks a blast.

Top Bottom