Clayton Vale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tightwad

Rode the trails today sticking to the twister, waltzer or whatever its called, dark blue trail, mostly and diverting onto the red and black trails when we came across them. We went round twice and only noticed the orange downhill on second circuit. Really impressed with sections, great fast berms, tight winding single track through great terrain. On the way back to the Velodrome we stopped at the mtb skills track which was a laugh. Well worth a visit.

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bit of irony for you. We were showing some friends round Clayton yesterday afternoon, and Cubester was telling them about running tubeless tyres. Next section was the "Scorpion's Tail" black offshoot with the steps, and he proclaimed "I can ride up steps without worrying about pinch flats with these tubeless tyres." It can't have been more than a minute later when I hear him clatter his back wheel on the big square edge just where the black starts, and swear loudly as the rear loses all it's air out of a 5mm split in the tread area of the tyre.

Now, I have definitely learnt a lesson here as well, as I was too idle to look for my usual M:Part mini floor pump, and just chucked a Topeak Road Rocket into my pack. I reckon tubeless goo needs air pressure behind it to seal holes, and the Road Rocket simply couldn't shift air into tHe big casing tyres quick enough to seal it. Good job we weren't far from the end!

tightwad

Never been a fan of tube goo and prefer the prevention better than cure approach.

Recently I got a puncture in some brand new nobby nics on their first trip out, tiny little thorn, anyone I have put in some kenda thorn resistant tubes which although heavy I'm hoping will do the business. They are 4 mm thick on the outer and regularish on inner.

I was also able to get them v cheap so fingers crossed for years of bashing, jumping, dropping and generally mistreating my wheels.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi Fossy, are you still planning a trip here on Thursday? I am planning a visit with both my boys. Probably get there about 10am and do a couple of laps before diving into the Velocafe for lunch and hopefully a final lap afterwards.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@I like Skol

Thinking the same thing. Aiming for 10am in the Velodrome Car Park - the one to the right (hope it has space). I'll PM you my mobile in case you have to park elsewhere. I won't have the rack on the car - gonna chuck the bikes in the back.

fossyant

Good job I just checked the bikes out. New sons chain was a bit dry, that was ok. Mine wasn't well. Been at he coast last time we used them, so the chain had quite a few stiff links. Lubed up, spun a bit then wiped down.

Gears all checked. Looking forward to a play of a trail !

tightwad

Only went Saturday but looking forward to going back and not only having a go at the trails but also the skills section across the road from the Velo.. which was also a lot of fun. I'm guessing there'll be a few teachers on there today.

fossyant

What a blast. All three lads did great, and it was good for me to up my skills too, especially following the lads down the orange and black runs.

As has been mentioned, health and safety 'mentality' has been kept away which has left a great trial.

Skolly is a loon, got some great bike handling skills. As a roadie I am a little lacking, and chickened out of the big drop off at the start of one of the red runs.

The trail is suitable for non suspension MTBs, as its pretty smooth with strategic rock gardens and drop offs. The berms are great fun.

So glad this is just 20 minutes in the car away from home.

I certainly ran the limits of my cantis a few times on the descents.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
What a blast. All three lads did great, and it was good for me to up my skills too, especially following the lads down the orange and black runs.

As has been mentioned, health and safety 'mentality' has been kept away which has left a great trial.

Skolly is a loon, got some great bike handling skills. As a roadie I am a little lacking, and chickened out of the big drop off at the start of one of the red runs.

The trail is suitable for non suspension MTBs, as its pretty smooth with strategic rock gardens and drop offs. The berms are great fun.

So glad this is just 20 minutes in the car away from home.

I certainly ran the limits of my cantis a few times on the descents.

Seconded.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Skolly is a loon....

Seconded.

Oi, I can hear you you know!

I agree, a great time was had by all. My youngest son was flagging a bit towards the end on the 3rd lap but couldn't wait to tell mummy Skol what a good ride we had. I would like to go back and have a go on my own when the kids Fossy isn't getting in the way. I desperately need more practice at trails like this as I still feel a bit clumsy and feel I could flow a lot better in the turns as I only ride serious MTB stuff a couple of times a year.

I reckon a CC 'Visit the Vale' trip has legs.......

Oh and I nearly forgot to mention the spooky spider web tree, and fancy seeing ZZ Top out on their MTBs :laugh:

tightwad

It's a great ride, no doubt and has opened up a great resource in what previously was bandit territory. It is a little too twisty for my preference but this made it more of a workout along with the 24 mile journey to and from. Manchester is a great city.

Top Bottom