Cleaning a cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When you take a cassette to pieces to clean it what do you use. Petrol, water, white spirits?

I am using petroleum and it works, but I just wanted to know if it was correct.

If it works, it works. However, there are other things to consider. Firstly, how do you dispose of the dirty petroleum solution? Is your method legal, ethical and safe?
Secondly, how do you prevent skin contact with the distillate? Most hydrocarbons are poison via the skin.
Thirdly, how do you prevent the distillate getting into the bearings?

I prefer to use a soapy, bio-degradable degreaser of sorts. If this is not strong enough to remove the gunk on your cassette, you are probably over-oiling it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wash mine on the bike with car wash/wax solution in water and a stiff brush.

I don't go too mad near the bearings and make sure the cassette is properly dry.

If anything, the car wash stuff should leave a light coating of wax - as it does on the car - which should do no harm to the cassette.

Mobytek

Ecover washing up liquid dissolves all matter o greases and dirt, so i taking it back to basics this is a winner, then relube the bearings etc perfect. But the chain is the oly bit that should be well greased - cogs and cassettes require minimal surface lube.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use a dishwashing liquid called Dawn. It degreases well, yet is safe enough they use it to clean seabirds caught in oil slicks. I usually use hot water if it looks like a heavy duty job, let them soak, and clean up with a rag later. For protection, as well as chains, I've become a bit of a convert to 3 in 1 oil. It's a spindle oil, used in textile mills to keep spindles free of rust during seasonal shutdown, and it doesn't stain textiles and fabrics. I also use it inside frames to prevent rust.

sackville d

Veteran
When I take a cassette to pieces to clean it I give all the parts a good squirt of Hope Sh*t Shifter,let it sit for a minute,scrub with a bristled washing up brush and rinse with water.Repeat if necessary.
Chances of self immolation, zero:thumbsup:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I take off the cassette every few months and put it in my ultrasonic bath with Jizer, an industrial degreaser. It's completely over the top but it comes out shiny.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If it works, it works. However, there are other things to consider. Firstly, how do you dispose of the dirty petroleum solution? Is your method legal, ethical and safe?
Secondly, how do you prevent skin contact with the distillate? Most hydrocarbons are poison via the skin.
Thirdly, how do you prevent the distillate getting into the bearings?

I prefer to use a soapy, bio-degradable degreaser of sorts. If this is not strong enough to remove the gunk on your cassette, you are probably over-oiling it.

I live in Denmark and so we have ample facilities for getting rid of all types of waste and its free. I have plenty of surgical gloves for cleaning.

Itsinterestingbto see what everyone uses. Nobody has suggested coke yet and that cleans everything. I may give it a go :0)

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I use that orangey citrus stuff designed for chain cleaners. I generally use it in the cleaner and then tip it into an old ice cream tub to do the cassette. I get it when a well known car parts supplier do their 3 for 2 offers.

A bit of turps also does the trick. I save the small amounts I use until I have enough to recycle.

Top Bottom