Cleaning chain and gears advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Really! Some of you do seem to get wound up by simple questions.

Not all of the people on here are Bradley Wiggins. Some people just want to just get by as cheaply as possible. He doesnt want to replace his chain. So just tell him to what to do with the old one.

Id go for WD40 and a rag. Saves you taking it off. Soaking in engine oil, just as good.

Accy Cyclist. Hope thats ok?

Thanks,that'll do nicely Mr Horse!:thumbsup: :cheers:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Blimey! That cannot be the original chain, surely... But you sought advice. As follows:

1. Dirt and grime are nothing in terms of presence. Their only ill effect is that they wear away at things. Clean the chain and gears (using webheld counsel as advised).

2. Wear is a bad, naughty no-no for a bicycle chain. Measure the wear on it (using one of those metal tuning-fork things that isn't a tuning fork). If the wear is above what is helpful or rideable, bin the chain and replace it.

3. Although it just looks a little grubby and black when dirty, a cleaned chain is a wonderful thing. All my best times on leisure rides and my old commute have been done on a bike whose chain and sprockets I've just cleaned and lubed. It may be psychological, but I think it is also a matter of increased efficiency and all that hoo-ha.

I hope I have helped and I'm off to serve supper in the absolute conviction that I have.

Seriously it's the original chain. I've had a few links replaced over the years and i ride in a low cadence which i imagine puts more strain on the chain but it's held out so far. I ride the bike in harsh winter conditions without mudguards,so it gets the full salt and ice treatment. Maybe all the layers of WD40 and other stuff applied have saved it?:smile:

Top Bottom