Cleaning Rim Braking Surface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
My lovely shiny silver rims are becoming sullied by the front wheel braking surface gradually turning black (rear is coaster brake making the front look even worse).

Tried cleaning with soapy water and obviously got nowhere. Foolishly had a crack with white spirit which resulted in a day of terrible braking (did I learn nothing from doing this with discs?).

Been searching about and been getting very contradictory messages. "Try fine sandpaper or wire wool!" "no don't do that you'll ruin the braking surface!". Anyone know the best way to get the gunk off? Or should I just leave it?

tyred

Legendary Member
Try some clutch cleaner sprayed on to a rag.

endoman

I use Virosol, it's a degreaser, works lovely on car alloys and is non corrosive. Just a small amount then a good rub with a rag.

I am new to this so might be buggering it up, but so far no problems

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Washing up liquid with a green kitchen socurer.

Worked a treat when I had rims & brakes pads to clean and doesn't damage them like wirewool or sandpaper.

Now have discs

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
I shall try Moodyman's suggestion first, as I have that stuff already. Although, my kitchen scourer pads are BLUE rather than green. I expect that will ruin everything.

I don't know if it'll be heavy duty enough but I take babywipes to my rim and finish off with a clean section of wipe once all the gunk has been removed. Depending on the state of the rims I do this several times until I'm happy usually when a clean babywipe stays cleanish.

ohnovino

Large Member
I spray a little squit of Dirtwash bike cleaner on a rag, wipe the braking surface, wipe again with a dry rag to get of any residue and then take extra care for the first couple of miles.

I don't know if it'll be heavy duty enough but I take babywipes to my rim and finish off with a clean section of wipe once all the gunk has been removed.

Well that's put me right off my lunch :tongue:

Garz

Squat Member
I shall try Moodyman's suggestion first, as I have that stuff already. Although, my kitchen scourer pads are BLUE rather than green. I expect that will ruin everything.

ohmy.gif

Oh no he used the BLUE one!

the snail

Guru
I used white spirit with no problems, although I make sure everything is dry before riding. I think the most important thing is to check the brake blocks for grit/metal flakes, since the gunk on your rims means your rims are wearing away. It might be worth changing the blocks for something better - since I changed to Jagwire blocks my rims stay clean.

Top Bottom