Cleaning water bottles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Rinse after every ride and leave to air dry.

Periodic wash in the dishwasher or handwash with brush.

Bacterial growth increases when water is left in the bottle for a while.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Dishwasher, occasionally, for water bottles, usually after I’ve had stuff other than pure H2O in them.
For the hydration bladders, I use Miltons or Campden Tablets, from my wine making supply, to cleanse them properly.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I made the mistake of soaking one of my 'bidons':rolleyes: in lemon smelling washing up water overnight. Two years on i still get a lemon taste when i have a drink out of it. Actually it's not that bad a taste.:thumbsup:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Water bottle on my latest Raleigh was really minging when I got it. Got the worst of the green stuff out with a scouring pad, then left it soaking for a couple of days in water dosed with washing up liquid. Looks nice and clean now, but even though I must have rinsed it out over a dozen times, there's still that little extra "something" in the taste of the water drunk from it. Never mind, when I'm really thirsty I'm not too fussy, plus it is gradually getting better....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Even so, a second hand bottle...minger xx(xx(xx(

So when you go out for a drink somewhere, do you imagine you're getting a brand new virgin glass that hasn't previously been used by someone else? It doesn't matter if something is secondhand or not, so long as it gets cleaned before re-use.

Top Bottom