Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can actually buy stuff called "gear floss" in case you don't have an ample supply of bootlaces to hand. It only costs a fiver or so for a packet of several and is great for cleaning the cassette. I did mention this a while ago but I was heckled and derided as a wasteful modernist by the dyed in the wool users of old underpants wrapped around a CD.

Edit. I see @roadrash and @Racing roadkill beat me to it. More wasteful modernists. Tut tut. That's why our landfills are full of underpants and CDs these days.
I use my underpants that I'm wearing

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Hi there
What is the best way to clean and degrease your bike after its been out in bad weather? This is what I’ve been doing but I don’t know if its correct:
I wipe down and wash the bike using a sponge and the pink muc-off solution in hot water. I then rinse it off with cold water (I don’t use a jet wash or anything like that).
I then (as much as I possibly can without taking the bike apart) use cleaning brushes, again along with pink muc off to get into the rear derailleur and hanger. I also spray some muc-off biodegreaser into these parts.
I then degrease the chain using muc-off bio degreaser – I spray it on and run the chain through my fingers using an old rag. I also spray some bio degreaser on the cogs and the chain. After I’ve degreased the chain, I spray some GT85, then lube the chain using finish line green wet lube.
Am I doing all this correctly?

Yep all good, ditch the pink stuff and just stick some washing up liquid in a bucket of hot water, much cheaper. Also ditch the degreaser, wd40 will do the same job, again much cheaper. Don't be fooled by all the muc of garb.

Yep all good, ditch the pink stuff and just stick some washing up liquid in a bucket of hot water, much cheaper. Also ditch the degreaser, wd40 will do the same job, again much cheaper. Don't be fooled by all the muc of garb.
Don't use WD40. It will just act like glue to road filth. Anything coated in the stuff will effectively be coated in a grinding paste (bike specific WD40 excepted)

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Don't use WD40. It will just act like glue to road filth. Anything coated in the stuff will effectively be coated in a grinding paste (bike specific WD40 excepted)

I was suggesting using it as a degreaser instead of the overpriced muc off stuff. Degrading is generally done before washing so once it's done its job you wash it off and lube properly.

screenman

Legendary Member
TFR then jet wash, followed by a blast off with the air line and lube the chain and other moving parts such as gears, brakes etc. Never found that the grease has been washed out of hubs or bottom bracket.

TFR then jet wash, followed by a blast off with the air line and lube the chain and other moving parts such as gears, brakes etc. Never found that the grease has been washed out of hubs or bottom bracket.
To be fair I've found the modern sealed cartridge type bearings are quite good for not being degreased to the point of failure by cleaning and jet washing, it's more the user serviceable cup and cone ones that need molly coddling.

screenman

Legendary Member
To be fair I've found the modern sealed cartridge type bearings are quite good for not being degreased to the point of failure by cleaning and jet washing, it's more the user serviceable cup and cone ones that need molly coddling.

I agree with you there, but the way I use my jet wash around those area's, well it gets more in on a rainy ride.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Try a stiff paint brush as an alternative to boot laces, underpants + CDs etc when cleaning the cassette. Dip it in a little degreaser for a speedy and shiny result.

boydj

Legendary Member
Hose down and wipe over with a cloth, then GT85 on the chain and pivots, run chain through a rag and leave the bike to dry off. The next morning light oil to chain and pivots.

Top Bottom