Clearence for wider tyres, how to tell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucklesspedestrian

Hi there

I'm currently riding on a Forme Longcliffe 3.0 with Mavic CXP22 rims using the standard 700x23c tyres.

I'd like a bit more rubber under me during the winter and was thinking of fitting 700x28c tyres instead.

I've checked on the Mavic website and the rims themselves can take 19-28c width tyres, no problem there then!

I am aware however that I need to check the clearence to see if the bike itself can cope with the wider tyres.

Can someone advise how to do this and explain exactly the clearence is and what measurements I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance

Steve

ps: don't know if it's relevant but the brakes have those handy quick release levers to allow the wheels to drop out without deflating the tyres

zizou

Veteran
Ive never measured the clearance exactly other than eyeballing it. A photo of the seat tube / chainstay section where the clearance will be tightest and also one of the brake caliper and the space between it and the tyre would help.

Also what tyres do you have on just now? Tyre size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer so if you went from a 23c on a Continental to a 25c on a Michelin Pro 4 then the difference IME is going to be greater than 2mm.

sreten

Hi,

Your bike has mudguard clearance and long reach calipers and should handle
28mm tyres with mudguards fitted, even bigger sizes with no mudguards.

The problem area is typically side walls to the chainstays clearance.

rgds, sreten.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Obvious point of note ;): Even with the brake caliper quick release levers open, wider tyres probably won't fit through the gap when inflated. You will probably have to deflate the tyres to fit or remove the wheel.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks, I'll just deflate 'em and leave them on for the winter.

You might notice a drop off in the bikes handling capabilities, not to mention speed, if you do that! :whistle:

Top Bottom