Cleat tension preferences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Loosest, or loosest minus one notch for me too.

I don't accidentally unclip but I can unclip in a hurry for the (very) occasional emergency dismount on 'wet, gravel-strewn, narrow 25% climb into a stiff headwind and meeting a car coming the other way' type scenario! :laugh:

AlanW

Guru
Hmmmm.......I feel like the odd one out here as I like mine as tight as I can get them?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmmmm.......I feel like the odd one out here as I like mine as tight as I can get them?
You might get away with that with new cleats and if you never have to do emergency dismounts. Otherwise ... :whistle:

I got distracted when fitting new SPD pedals to a bike and missed loosening one side of one pedal. I had slightly worn cleats on my shoes and it turned out to be a really dodgy combination. I had been clipping in and out happily during a ride (presumably because I had randomly kept getting the loose side of the pedal in question) but then I came to a very steep climb which I failed to get up. I rushed to unclip one foot but it was stuck fast on the pedal! :eek:

I very nearly toppled over but somehow managed to lean to the other side and unclip the other foot in time. I had to get another rider to twist my heel for me because I couldn't turn it far enough without help.

PS Someone pointed out to me afterwards that I could have taken my foot out of the shoe and twisted it by hand myself. I didn't think of that!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Loosest possible for me. I need to feel I can get out quickly/easily when I need to.
Never accidentally unclipped as yet.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've only ever fallen once, and that was with ye olde leather straps., never with my Spds - which I keep on a very loose setting.

Loose enough to occasionally release at the wrong time, so probably too loose.

Top Bottom