Cleats: did you ever fall over?

Did you ever fall over because you were still clipped in?

• Yep, done it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No (not yet)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Membrane

We all know the stories of people falling over when getting used to cleats. It seems to be a rite of passage. Not having fallen over (yet), I feel left out (but also kinda smug about it).

So who's done it, and who hasn't, and is there any hope for those of use who haven't yet?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Twice have i hit the road still clipped in. The first was on the Tissington trail when a group of schoolkids from Manchester who were out with a teacher stopped right in front of me and I didn't have time to unclip, fortunately a grassy bank was my saviour. The second was in Cambridge last year, when cycling back to the station my attention was taken by some kids on BMX bikes in a park. This was as I was pulling up at some traffic lights. I forgot all about unclipping as I stopped. Doh.:evil:

It happened to me on a club run :evil:. I'd put new pedals (A520s) on the bike and the soles of the spesh Taho's made it a little hard to unclip, even though the springs were fairly lose. I struggled for a bit and down I went it seemed like slow motion. Ive converted to SPD-SL and touch wood I've not had a clipless moment with them, yet!!! Although clipping in can be a bit of a pain.

Smeggers

Coed y Brenin.

Just started the decent after a tw@t of a climb.

Broke shoulder, hole in elbow and dent in head. :evil:

barq

I went ages without having a 'clipless moment', but it had to happen eventually. :evil: I was riding off-road and didn't get my foot out quite fast enough to dab the ground. But in a way I was already in trouble so I might have crashed any way.

U

User482

I crashed into the window of the bike shop that I had just purchased them from. Somewhat embarrassing...

Bigtallfatbloke

I was lost and had stopped to read my map on th eside of the road somewhere near writtle. I unclipped th eright foot but not the left....as I turned to look left I went arse over tit and ended up on the grass verge....wouldnt have been so bad but I had four panniers and a tent on board at the time and so had already attracted some attention!

yup... had had a nice ride without falling... got to a mini-roundabout with cars at each junction, braked, stopped, fell sideways still attached. i stayed there for a bit untul the cars drove off - except they didn't, they'd all stopped to watch me try and stand up still clipped in. i managed to stand by waggling one foot free and placing it in the diamond of the frame to pull myself up to try and get the other foot free. i then waved to the drivers (several waved back) and skulked off down a side street.

L

Just the once - when I first rode on a pair of eggbeaters on a very frosty day a few years ago. Climbing up the Clent Hills just outside Brum, back wheel spun on an icy root and I fell over sideways, unable to unclip.

I've never crashed on tarmac and I'm not looking forward to the time that I do!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Kirstie you really are going to have to do something about your double entendres. From the title I thought this was going to be some S American erotica.

I stopped at the lights once, clipped into my recumbent and had entirely forgotten that I was clipped in. The pedestrians at the lates seemed to really enjoy the inevitable.

Oh I am worried now, I am still the only one who has not fallen over. I did have a few stumbles at the start (about 8 months ago) but I always managed to get my foot out just in time.

From the stats it would appear that my time will come.....:evil:

Top Bottom