Click on power stroke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now I may have cured this but see what you think.

I changed all three chainrings today to give me the gearing I wanted. All done, final tweaks in place, test out on the turbo prior to a ride tomorrow and in the middle ring in the lower third on the block, there's a click about 3 o clock on the crank stroke under power but not if I ease off.

So, head into the chainrings, locate the point of the click and watch everything. Finally notice a little jump sideways in the chain as it goes onto a tooth. Cannot see why at all it's doing this, there is nothing to catch on.

So, take chain off, rotate cranks and put chain on in different position: No click.

So I'm thinking, stiff link which is no longer on the main point of the powerstroke, oil chain as well and spin the cranks a good bit.

So it now seems to have gone away but was it a stiff link, is the chain worn and the new teeth not quite matching up, in which case I should change the chain even though the wear gauge says fine and it's only done 1500/2000 miles.

What do you think?

Alf

Guru
CMysterious clicks can be very annoying. Since the last thing you did was change the chain rings, I would be inclined to check all the chainring bolts to make sure they are all fully tightened up. Another fairly common culprit for clicks like this has been slightly loose pedals in my case, but that may be unlikely if you have not touched them.

Alf

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Good thought Alf, makes more sense than my chain theory. I'll re-tighten them tomorrow. The click was right above a bolt, so that could well be the answer.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
My click came from the right hand pedal on the power stroke. I took the pedals off and applied some dry wax lube to the threads then retightened. Click gone.

I'm using a 105 Groupset with 5610 pedals.

stan.shire

If it's a hollowtech (octalink) chainset then the click could come from having worn splines on the crank. Given what you've said about it, this seems unlikely. If it's fixed now then don't ask too many questions and just hope that it doesn't come back -I've always found ignorance reassuring.

Top Bottom