Clicking from new Brompton when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berylthebrompton

Hello.

I ham getting a loud, metallic "click" whilst pedalling on my less than 6 month old 6-speed Brompton.

It happens when in all gears. But it only happens when pedalling (it doesn't when freewheeling), and it happens when standing and sitting (so doesn't seem to be the seat post or pentaclip). I have seen suggestions it may be the folding pedal (it seems to be loudest around the pedals and crank arms), but it seems so loud I am worried it it something more serious. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

James

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sounds like a loose crankarm to me. Worth checking the bolts are tight and there's no play.

Fab Foodie

Thanks for your reply.

I had a play and it feels like both crank arms are pretty secure - which bolts should I be checking?
The main bolts holding the crank arms to the bottom bracket, though won't hurt to check the spider end as well.
Is there any play in the bottom bracket?

Sure it's the pedal area? Brooks saddles can click too for example.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

It happens when I am stood riding, so I think I have ruled out the seat, pentaclip and post clamp.

Doesn't seem to be any excess movement in the bottom bracket - I have held both arms right and tried to move them up and down and side to side and they feel firm. I am wondering whether it could be the bracket itself? I don't have the right tools to tighten the bolts the correct no so I am going to take it back the bike shop tomorrow and show them the video - when they had it in last week they said they couldn't reproduce it!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I get worried when my Brompton doesn't make a noise. It's almost certainly nothing serious.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

Haha thanks for your reassurance. If it was there from the start I would have though it was normal, it's just because it has got worse and louder.

Don't know if it helps but after the bike gets wet (cycling in the rain, or after I have cleaned it), the noise will go away for a while...

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was going to suggest the usual hub ticking could be the culprit if the crank seems solid but that ticks away wet or dry, the hub would explain it having occurred since buying and getting worse, maybe needs a cable tension check.

Haha thanks for your reassurance. If it was there from the start I would have though it was normal, it's just because it has got worse and louder.

Don't know if it helps but after the bike gets wet (cycling in the rain, or after I have cleaned it), the noise will go away for a while...
Mine's also very silent after rain :smile: I've had lots of weird noises on mine, the clicking one like yours seemed to be related to the folding pedal being one way rather than the other. It hasn't done that now for ages mind.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's probably just a bit of grit getting caught in a fold somewhere. Stop worrying! (But don't sue me if you have a crash)

Fab Foodie

Mine's also very silent after rain :smile: I've had lots of weird noises on mine, the clicking one like yours seemed to be related to the folding pedal being one way rather than the other. It hasn't done that now for ages mind.
Mine's the opposite, after rain the drive-train sounds like it's grinding marbles. When it's dry it's fine!

Top Bottom