Clicking from new Brompton when pedalling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I was plagued by clicky noises twice. Thinking it was the Bottom bracket I replaced it with a new one to no avail. That time it was a bad SPD pedal. Next time it wound up being the elastomer suspension. Took it apart and regreased the shaft and most of it went away. I have a leather Velo Orange saddle and it can creak unless properly tightened. The elastomer actually moves more on my Brompton when I pedal than when i hit a bump. A simple way to check the elastomer issue is to see if it clicks more when pedaling easily on flat ground or more when going up a hill or against the wind when pedaling effort is greater. If the noise increases with pedaling effort it could well be the elastomer. BTW, I have begun oiling my SA hub with synthetic motor oil and it is much quieter and seems to pedal easier.

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

I was plagued by clicky noises twice. Thinking it was the Bottom bracket I replaced it with a new one to no avail. That time it was a bad SPD pedal. Next time it wound up being the elastomer suspension. Took it apart and regreased the shaft and most of it went away. I have a leather Velo Orange saddle and it can creak unless properly tightened. The elastomer actually moves more on my Brompton when I pedal than when i hit a bump. A simple way to check the elastomer issue is to see if it clicks more when pedaling easily on flat ground or more when going up a hill or against the wind when pedaling effort is greater. If the noise increases with pedaling effort it could well be the elastomer. BTW, I have begun oiling my SA hub with synthetic motor oil and it is much quieter and seems to pedal easier.

It definitely is worse when I "pedal harder". I will look into the suspension block and try regreasing it. Thanks for your suggestion!

OP
OP
berylthebrompton

berylthebrompton

If the noise increases with pedaling effort it could well be the elastomer

I took of the suspension block and greased the bolt - issue carried on :sad:

My Brommie clicked when new. It was a dry (non folding) pedal. A drop of lube sorted it.

Took it the bike shop today. Took the folding pedal off and they said that there was hardly any grease added in the factory where the pedal threaded on to the crank arm - they regreased it and so far so good!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys ^_^

12boy

Guru
Glad you got that figured out. One of the problems I have had with my Brompton is I have trouble determining where an annoying sound is coming from. Seems to travel up the seat tube. BTW, There is a phenomenon whereby steel and aluminum seem to fuse together over time, especially when there is no grease separating them. This is seen on old bikes where aluminum seat posts and stems stick to steel frames. I have used anti-seize compound or grease on those areas for a long time and have avoided the problem, but chain ring bolts and pedals screwing into cranks are another area which can be a real issue trying to get apart if they have sat for a long time. in your case were the pedal bearings dry or was it where the pedal attaches to the crank?

12boy

Guru
Glad you got that figured out. One of the problems I have had with my Brompton is I have trouble determining where an annoying sound is coming from. Seems to travel up the seat tube. BTW, There is a phenomenon whereby steel and aluminum seem to fuse together over time, especially when there is no grease separating them. This is seen on old bikes where aluminum seat posts and stems stick to steel frames. I have used anti-seize compound or grease on those areas for a long time and have avoided the problem, but chain ring bolts and pedals screwing into cranks are another area which can be a real issue trying to get apart if they have sat for a long time. in your case were the pedal bearings dry or was it where the pedal attaches to the crank?

Lipscombe

Hello.

I ham getting a loud, metallic "click" whilst pedalling on my less than 6 month old 6-speed Brompton.

It happens when in all gears. But it only happens when pedalling (it doesn't when freewheeling), and it happens when standing and sitting (so doesn't seem to be the seat post or pentaclip). I have seen suggestions it may be the folding pedal (it seems to be loudest around the pedals and crank arms), but it seems so loud I am worried it it something more serious. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

James

I know that this is an old thread, but I thought I would reply because I have the same issue and I just figured out what it was.

At first I thought it was my pentaclip. Turns out it was the folding left pedal. I was able to confirm this by oedalling on the other side of the pedal [turn the pedal 180°] and clicking disappeared.

I just don’t know why the pedal is clicking. Some people reported that they took it apart and lubed it a bit and said that solved the issue. Others have said the pedal is defective and needed to be replaced.

kernow Buoy

Hello.

I ham getting a loud, metallic "click" whilst pedalling on my less than 6 month old 6-speed Brompton.

It happens when in all gears. But it only happens when pedalling (it doesn't when freewheeling), and it happens when standing and sitting (so doesn't seem to be the seat post or pentaclip). I have seen suggestions it may be the folding pedal (it seems to be loudest around the pedals and crank arms), but it seems so loud I am worried it it something more serious. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

James

James, I have the exact same problem. Did you find the solution?

Chris

Top Bottom